Taylor K-2006 questions

Jan 12, 2011
Bel Air, MD
I am a new in-ground pool owner who just bought the Taylor K-2006 testing kit. I am little overwhelmed on how to test. I see the instructions but I am slightly confused on things. Are there videos on the web I can follow to help me out a little more?

precator said:
I am a new in-ground pool owner who just bought the Taylor K-2006 testing kit. I am little overwhelmed on how to test. I see the instructions but I am slightly confused on things. Are there videos on the web I can follow to help me out a little more?
http://www.taylortechnologies.com/products_choose_slideshow.aspSelect Pool and Spa. Then pick which test you want to watch. Missing the FAS-DPD, but it's really simple to do.

Videos??? :hammer: DOH !!

I just bought one of these kits and it was intimidating at first, but after a few times, you'll get the hang of it.

A few tips - as supplied by the great knowledge base here at TFP:

- Take your water sample from 2 feet under without getting your arm wet or bending over.
Using a 3/4" pvc pipe, about 4' long, hold your hand on the top of the pipe to prevent water from entering (air from escaping), sink the pipe about 2' down and then remove your hand (pipe fills up). Replace your hand and remove the pipe and put over your water sample cup that you have placed on the coping. Slowly let air enter and dispense the water into the cup. (I use a tupperware dish - Flotsam)

- Collect water for testing in a squirt bottle and then dispense into the various tests from there. A squirt bottle with a very narrow hole is ideal, something like a hair color applicator bottle, but even a mustard/ketchup dispensor bottle will make things simpler.
You can get clear squirt bottles like this @ Wallyworld for around a buck a piece. Look in the kitchen gadgets aisle. (I use a $1 turkey baster - works great since it has vol. marks on the side in oz and ml - Flotsam).

Do any of you guys know where I can get these kits in the UK? I've googled just about every keyword I can think of with no luck, and none of the US suppliers appear able to ship them to the UK [transit restrictions I guess]. You recommend these kits so highly, I can't understand why they are not readily available here. There are some other liquid reagent kits available, but these appear to be both sub-standard to the Taylor kits and horribly expensive.

Many thanks

Hey, gazoodle,

Welcome to the forum :lol:

Yeah, you are right on the money. It's shipping restrictions that are the big drawback. Even though the chemistry in both the TF-100 and K-2006 is virtually harmless (although you probably shouldn't use it as a condiment :lol:), they are not shippable by US mail.

A company called Horner Xpress can get you the K-2006 shipped just about anywhere you want but you'll have to take a second job to pay for it! :shock: :shock:

Thanks Duraleigh!

I've fired off an email to the folk at Horner Xpress and will let you guys know what their response it.

Keep up the good work, it feels really good to have some (small) understanding of what is going on with the chemicals in my pool!

A reasonable option for you in the U.K. and elsewhere in the world is the Palintest Pooltester SP 315C test kit. This has all the tests you need as drop-based tests (they use tablets for the dyes, but the TA and CH tests use titrating reagents that are liquids where you count the drops), but uses a DPD test for chlorine. Palintest also makes a FAS-DPD test, but it appears to only be available in the U.S. (though you might ask Palintest about that).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.