Iffy temperature sensor on P4 panel?

mart242

LifeTime Supporter
May 3, 2010
Ottawa, ON, Canada
I removed the pool cover yesterday and fired up the pool after a long winter. No water issue and no leaky pipes!

I'm however having an issue with my outdoor temperature probe used by my P4 panel. Yesterday, it read "+30F" so it turned on the pump automatically. I figured maybe it needs to warm up after winter.. it then displayed the proper temperature an hour later (+72 or 75F). It was fine this morning but I now went to take a quick look at the panel and the pump is still running because it's displaying an outside temperature of +30F so it enabled freeze protection even though it's +70 something outside.. . I had no issues with it last year.

Anyone seen anything like this? I thought that the temperature probe was a simple thermistor so I'm surprised that it would go bad, then good, and bad again.. I'd do a few tests but my P4 is in a shed along with all my equipment and the probe is a pain to access, especially since it's near the soffit of the routing of it's wire is even worse.. due to that, I figured that I'd ask here first hoping there's some diagnostic more for the temperature probes.

I guess a pool start-up where everything works fine is too much to expect :roll:

Went through these same problems with my P4 water temp sensor. First make sure to tighten the screws on the block where the wires connect to the board. I fthey look corroded cut them off and strip back some clean wire and reinstall. I found the block in self shorting to ground, so I changed the block and so far so good. I have a copy of the resistance values for the different temps so I rang out the sensor so I ruled that out. My temp was all over the board high, low then sometimes it worked fine. But the messages alway coming up were a bother.

maxepr1 said:
Went through these same problems with my P4 water temp sensor. First make sure to tighten the screws on the block where the wires connect to the board. I fthey look corroded cut them off and strip back some clean wire and reinstall. I found the block in self shorting to ground, so I changed the block and so far so good. I have a copy of the resistance values for the different temps so I rang out the sensor so I ruled that out. My temp was all over the board high, low then sometimes it worked fine. But the messages alway coming up were a bother.

Would you mind posting these values here? My temperature went back to normal an hour or two later.. I'll doublecheck the connection in the panel.

Thanks a lot folks!

Ok here's the values. Tried to get the normal values for normal temperatures, if you need one the isn't there PM me and I'll send it to you.

DSC06093.jpg

DSC06094.jpg

Sounds like a connection problem. I would cut the ends off and strip clean wire and screw in into the terminal block. If it continues your terminal block is shorting.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
On my board it's in the upper left corner. The block is green with the wires running up the low voltage channel. Of course you have to take off the front cover to see this.

Shut off the power and unplug the cell. Then straight slot screwdriver and 3 screws and the panel will come off. A small screwdriver and some scotch brite you can remove the wires and clean them with SB to remove any corrosion and reinstall and see if that works first. If not it gets more complex. And it requires a multimeter and a little knowledge. Try cleaning first. Then I would just remove the junction and replace it. It just pulls off.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.