Got the TFT 100 test kit and tested water.. But now what??

Hoxman

May 1, 2011
Hi,
The test kit had instructions for testing, but no instructions for balancing the water based on the results..
I have an inground vinyl 12,500 gal pool with salt water/ chlorine generator and sand filter..

I tested today and pH 8.2, chl test was 2.5, CCs was 0, tot alkal was 160, Ca hardness was 320, CYA was 70... Salt reads 3700, with generator reading 3400...

How do I figure out how much acid, etc to add and what needs correcting, and what order to do them in???

Re: Got the TFT 100 test kit and tested water.. But now what

Welcome to TFP!

You should do some reading in Pool School, see the link near the top right of every page.

For now, lower the PH down to around 7.2 and then bring the FC level up to 10. You can calculate quantities of chemicals to use with the Pool Calculator, see the link in my signature. For PH changes, remember that PH calculations are approximate, so use about 2/3rds the calculated amount, give it an hour to mix in and then measure the PH (and for large PH changes the TA) again.

What he said!

pH first. You may be well over 8.2, as that's the top of the scale!

What will happen when you add acid is pH will drop quickly. Then it will start climbing again, and TA will drop, slowly. You're going to have to keep testing and adding until your pool hits the "sweet spot" where things are in range and stable. That's why having your own test kit is so vital! It doesn't all have to be done in a day. In fact, it won't be.

I'd bump up the SWG a notch, you're right on the threshold of min FC. A bunch of kids or a blazing hot day, and you could dip in the danger zone.

Read Pool School, and bookmark Pool Calculator. Be sure to enter pool size, SWG, vinyl, all the variables to get the right answers for you.

How does the water look? Clear? Cloudy? Green? Thick enough to walk on?

By the way, Welcome! :wave:

Thanks for the help and tips to both of you!!

The water has been looking great, but I have been tired of seesawing around with the pool store treatments and the Taylor pool chemistry book was never my favorite.

Great resources on this site!
Thanks again!

JasonLion said:
Welcome to TFP!

You should do some reading in Pool School, see the link near the top right of every page.

For now, lower the PH down to around 7.2 and then bring the FC level up to 10. You can calculate quantities of chemicals to use with the Pool Calculator, see the link in my signature. For PH changes, remember that PH calculations are approximate, so use about 2/3rds the calculated amount, give it an hour to mix in and then measure the PH (and for large PH changes the TA) again.

Just wondering why the FC should be @ 10?

Just wondering why the FC should be @ 10?
With a CYA of 70, Jason is suggesting a slight higher than normal (normal is 5-8ppm) initial dose of FC.

I can't speak directly for him, but I suspect he has suggested a little boost in the FC to eradicate anything that might be in the pool since the FC is currently too low.

Yep, better safe than sorry :) FC has been a little low and PH is too high, quite likely way too high, which might have make the chlorine less effective, so I'm thinking to give the FC level a boost manually just for a few hours just in case. After that things can go back to just the SWG and everything will return to more ordinary FC levels. I should have explained that right off.

JasonLion said:
Yep, better safe than sorry :) FC has been a little low and PH is too high, quite likely way too high, which might have make the chlorine less effective, so I'm thinking to give the FC level a boost manually just for a few hours just in case. After that things can go back to just the SWG and everything will return to more ordinary FC levels. I should have explained that right off.

Tks! :)

Ok.

I went to Pool School.. Loved it..
Used the pool calc... Loved it..

Did some changing last week based on recommendations..

Here is my current readout and after putting in TFP goals in my 12500 vinyl pool, this is what it said to do...
READINGS Pool Calc Recomm.
FC 1 78 oz. of 6% bleach
CC 0
TC 1

T/A 100

pH 7.8 7.4 oz Muriatic acid

CH 260

CYA 60 25 oz. Stabilizer (by weight)

SALT 3700

TEMP 78-80 F

Does that sound good? 6% bleach is Clorox, right? I didnt understand the last two suggestions about free chlorine, etc in the little boxes on the pool calc above the section where you select the value set you want to use and your chlorine type and pool type........

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

The results are the actual test results... I put them into the pool calc after setting my goals based on TFP values and it recommended the steps and quantities I listed... Thanks.

OK, I got ya' :lol:

If that were my pool I would do the following....

Purchase and add 1 small jug of Clorox (96 oz) which will bring your FC up around 5ppm. Then turn on your chlorine generator and experiment until you find the setting that will hold your FC in a 3-5ppm range.

Purchase 1 gallon of muriatic acid and initially bring your pH down to around 7.2-7.4....I'd dose it in 8oz increments

That's all I'd do for now. You will learn how much acid you need to add by careful testing...probably every day at first.

For now, I would leave the stabilizer alone. You may need just a little bit more in the near future but it's usually only available in 4 lb cannisters which would be about a 10 year supply for you. :lol:

My Clorox bleach says it contains 6% Sodium hypochlorite and 94% other ingredients.............

The lagel says regular bleach.....
Is it ok to use in pools??? What are the other ingredients (surfactants, etc...) Are they bad for the pool???
Help....

Yes, it is OK to use in pools. As noted in this post, Clorox bleach has 6% sodium hypochlorite (i.e. chlorine), 4.7% sodium chloride (salt), about 0.6% sodium hydroxide (lye), a very small amount of sodium polyacrylate, and the rest, 88.7%, is water. It is perfectly suitable for use in pools as noted on pages 2-3 of this document. You will also note that on the bottle it says "5.7% Available Chlorine". Chlorinating liquid from a pool or hardware store is virtually identical except that it is higher in concentration (though usually does not have sodium polyacrylate).

Clorox bleach has the lowest amount of "excess lye" than any brand I'm aware of, but it is usually more expensive than off-brand Ultra bleaches that are also 6% but have more excess lye in them. The excess lye just means that the pH will rise a little more over time, though most pH rise is still due to carbon dioxide outgassing when the Total Alkalinity (TA) level is too high or there is a aeration from spillovers, waterfalls, fountains or from a saltwater chlorine generator.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.