Effects of cleaning filter on CYA and boric acid

May 1, 2011
Nixa, MO
I have a 29,000 gallon vinyl SWG pool. I just converted it to BBB.

After I open my pool, vacuum it clean and get the chemicals correct, I like to rinse out the cartridge filters so they are good for the summer.

My concern is I have just added a bunch of CYA and boric acid (55 lbs) to the water. If I rinse and clean the filters now will I remove any of the chemicals I just added? If so, how much? Should I wait some period of time before I rinse them?

Thanks for your help.

Welcome to TFP!

CYA is especially slow to dissolve. If you recently added some granular CYA, I wouldn't clean the filter cartridges until it has been a week since the addition. Quite a bit of the CYA will be dissolved after a day or two, but unless you have some pressing need to clean the filter right away, you might as well put if off for the full week.

Borates dissolve much more quickly than that, and would only be an issue for one to three hours.

Thanks for welcoming me and responding. I have been reading this forum and using the pool calculator app for a couple years, just never posted.

There is no hurry to clean the filters. I just like to clean them after vacuuming up all the worms, leaves and other junk after the winter. When I do this there seems to be a lot of milky white stuff that rinses out. By rinsing the filters after opening, I feel it just gives me a really clean start to the summer swim season and I don't have to clean them again until I close the pool in the fall.

I'll wait a week or two before cleaning.

Thanks again,

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.