Central Texas
First off, here are my #s
FC 3.5
CC 0
PH 7.5
TA 100
CH 120
CYA 30

I have calculated my chlorine use to be around 2 ppm. And have been testing and adding liquid to get that in the pool, and the water quality is great as a result.

I have tablets in the feeder and verified that they are getting water and that the system is working properly. I have the dial set to 5. System is running for 8 hours a day at ~ 67 GPM and for an additional 4 hours a day at ~ 35 GPM. I think that is too much, but trying to get the feeder to give me some chlorine.

Could it be the product itself?
I filled the tube with pucks, is that a problem?
I don't think that adding stabilizer is an option at this point since the use is at 2 PPM. Thoughts?

What model feeder? Some have alternative places to attach the return tube: it should go in at the top for 3" pucks on my Rainbow 320. Mine also came with an orange flow reducer in the diverter that should have been left off. Sometimes the one-way valve in the bottom gets plugged up and needs to be cleaned. I finally gave up on mine and went back to the floater.

I only use pucks a few weeks a year when I travel anyway.

frustratedpoolmom said:
Take the tablets out of the feeder so that there is nothing being added and do an overnight loss test. You may have an unseen chlorine demand that might require shocking before the tablets can keep up.

I have been doing nightly chlorine drop tests to determine if I need to shock. The nightly consumption is .5. The pumps don't run at night so I should not be getting additional chlorine from the tabs during the night.

PoolGuyNJ said:
@35 GPM, flow velocity through 2" pipe is only 3.5 FPS. This might be a bit slow, even with the top feed set up. How many tabs are in the feeder?

Scott

But wouldn't the 8 hours at 67 gpm be enough to see measurable amounts of chlorine added to the system?

I currently have the cylinder full. I will need to pop the top and check the erosion. I will try and take some pics this evening.

Tabs are disolving slowly. I can't remember when I put them in, but they were full to the top.

Here are the pics:
56a1bf64.jpg

d6ef9a10.jpg

cf409e7f.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
One thing I found out about my feeder. As the tabs dissolve, so does the amount of chlorine added to your pool.

I only put 4 in my feeder (which looks just like yours). The first two days, I had it set on 3. I had to bump it up yesterday (day 3) to try to maintain 5 ppm.

I'm guessing the smaller the tabs get, the more flow I need to maintain my chlorine.

loweran said:
All I know is that it is a Rainbow inline chlorinator. The tube is top mounted. I don't see an orange flow reducer. Where is that located if it is on it?

The reducer is installed inside the diverter, which is inside the pipe the cylinder sits on. You have to take the cylinder off and look down into the hole to see it. It's soft rubber, and you can pull it out with your hand if it's there. You have to take the cylinder off anyway if you are going to try to clean the one-way valve, as that is on the bottom of the cylinder. Just detach the tube at the top and unscrew the whole thing.

You can also try 1" tablets, they erode faster.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.