Stabilizer

May 12, 2009
I hate going to my local pool store, but I am weary of ordering chemicals over the web. The only chemical I use is CYA and I wanted to know if anyone knew of a great online site to order from. I only use the BBB method so this is all I need, with the exception of a new above ground pool light? Any suggestions :)

bearclaw20 said:
Ok thanks! :) I tried searching but it didn't pull up anything.

I found BIOGUARD brand for 8.99 for 6 pounds and it said it was 100% CYA does that sound right and a good deal?

Considering the local pool store charged me $11.99 for 1.75 lbs of BioGuard Stabalizer ( I didn't need alot), that sounds like a fair price.

Ok another question about this darn stabilizer....

I am currently at 20 for my CYA....just got my pellet stabilizer and the directions confuse me?

They say as follows :...

1 lb. per 3,000 gallons will provide initial stabilizer level of 40 ppm.

1 lb. per 4,000 gallons will provide initial stabilizer level of 30 ppm

how much do I need to add to get to 40 ppm?

My pool is 21ft round and 48" deep all over, I also figure my gallons at 10,000.

bearclaw20 said:
Ok another question about this darn stabilizer....

I am currently at 20 for my CYA....just got my pellet stabilizer and the directions confuse me?

They say as follows :...

1 lb. per 3,000 gallons will provide initial stabilizer level of 40 ppm.

1 lb. per 4,000 gallons will provide initial stabilizer level of 30 ppm

how much do I need to add to get to 40 ppm?

My pool is 21ft round and 48" deep all over, I also figure my gallons at 10,000.
About 1.75 pounds.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I've not tried the inexpensive stuff, but Pooltime Stabilizer at Home Depot is $4 per pound and dissolves quickly if you help it. The instructions say to just dump it in the skimmer but I put it in a sock and alternate between squeezing and teabaging and it turns milky soon. Within 10 minutes it can be all gone.

Within 10 minutes it can be all gone.
But, maddeningly, will probably not register on the test until a few days have gone by. I don't understand why, but mine seems to take about 3 days for the FULL dose to show up on the test. Others have reported even longer wait periods.

The EXPENSIVE liquid form apparently registers right away (I don't know that for a fact) but5 I am too cheap to use it. :lol: :lol:

I hate going to the pool store as well. I have found that if you know what you want, go in and tell them all is well. It gets bad when you have no clue and let them help you. But alternative places are walmart, home depot, and lowes.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.