PVC Flex Pipe and Pipe Size Questions

Apr 21, 2011
Oklahoma
I've read a ton about pipe size and am convinced 2.5" returns from the skimmers and main drain help move water more efficiently. What about PVC Flex Pipe? What are the pro's and con's? I've read in some spots that bugs (termites) can eat through it and cause leakes?

My pool is 34 x 18 free form salt water gunite pool. I've got 3 small (off a raised beam wall) rock water falls and a 7.5' inside diameter spa which has a rock waterfall into the pool. The spa suction will be 2.5" as well, is that a good idea and should I also put 2.5" returns to the spa to help increase the flo in my spa? I want a spa, not a hot bath, so I want plenty of power from my jets.

I'm going to use 2 Intelliflo VF pumps. 1 for the pool and 1 for the spa and water features.

I've got about a 3.5' elevation from my pool up to my equipment (pool is lower).

I will use an intellitouch system i5, I believe. Any issues with that system working with this set up?

Thanks!!

Thanks I just met with my plumber and it's only going in the spa walls and where it will be enclosed in gunite. I told them, no exposure to dirt...don't want termites and unstable ground messing with it. Thanks again, really love this forum and will be glad to contribute more vs. just take the knowledge. Pay it forward!

In areas where termites are rare, or the flex is fully encased in something termite proof, flex is fine. My point was that flex isn't any better than rigid at responding to ground movement. They both hold up rather well, and only very occasionally fail. The rare failures are simply for different reasons, rigid breaks and flex collapses/kinks.

Heat bending requires noticeably more skill to use than flex. Done well, heat bending is better.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.