Reasonable temperature range for swimming

It's a personal preference. Usually for heavy swimming, pools are in the 78ºF-82ºF range (the Red Cross recommends 78ºF for competitive swimming). Anything warmer doesn't feel comfortable with a heavy workout. For just plain recreational swimming, 82ºF-86ºF works for many people with personal preferences varying as to what feels too warm vs. too cold (the Arthritis Foundation recommends 83ºF-88ºF). For therapy pools or ones where people want it feeling warm without any chill, but don't plan on doing long swimming or heavy exercise and may need to stay in for an hour or longer, 86ºF-90ºF works (especially 86ºF-88ºF), though this feels like a lukewarm to warm bath. Anything above 90ºF starts feeling more like a hot tub than a pool though truly "hot" tubs are up to 104ºF. People's preferences also vary depending on the air temperature.

Personally, my favorite temperature is 88ºF, but I'm skinny and just lounge around in the water and like entering the pool without any chill feeling. My wife does therapy exercises (mostly stretching and walking with only some swimming) so this temperature works for her as well, but most people would find this temperature too warm, especially if they swim. It doesn't cool one off until one gets out of the pool and has the water evaporate from one's skin.

I'm the polar bear type. I refused to put in a heater because I was afraid the women would make me use it. The pool is usable from 68°F up. 76°F is my perfect temp. When it goes beyond 84°F, I start injecting 55°F well water to cool it down.

When I dive in the pool on a hot day after being active, I want to feel refreshed and cool down. Whenever I dive in a warm pool I feel cheated.

Reactions: k8conant
I prefer it in the range of 83-84 on very hot days. I feel like there is just enough of a chill to cool me off but warm enough to float around without moving a muscle for hours :)

At about 4pm I turn it up and by night time it gets around 88-89. Which seems to be pretty perfect for a warm night. No chill at all.

But my wife will complain if the pool is under 88 regardless of what the weather is outside. At nighttime she will not stay in unless its over 90.
But she weighs about 110 pounds so maybe its that. Dont know...

No matter how warm the pool is, if you go from the hot tub into the pool, you freeze your tush off when you first get in :):)

Had mine up to 80 this weekend. It felt good but unfortunately the outside temp was 68. After several minutes, headed to the hot tub. When it's 85 out, 80 is great. When it's 68 out, I believe 85 would be better. Fortunately had the hot tub running at 95, so it all went well. Got the heater off again till a couple weeks from now.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.