PH Reductions in Cold Weather???

Craig

LifeTime Supporter
May 24, 2007
Staten Island NY
Now that the pool season is almost officially over here, (NorthEast) I have been noticing that I have needed to add PH at a more regular basis than I did all summer long? Is this normal or an indicator of bad things to come? I can't say it's alarming, just something I noticed. Below are my latest results

FC 2.5
CC 0
TC 2.5
Alkalinity 110
CYA 35
Calcium 30

So are you saying that the pH is dropping and you are adding more pH Up to compensate? Or do I have that backwards and the pH is rising and you are adding more acid to compensate? Also, how are you chlorinating your pool and what is "Mr. Frog Chlorinator"?

Most pools that are chlorinated using a hypochlorite source of chlorine (e.g. bleach, chlorinating liquid, Cal-Hypo, lithium hypochlorite) will tend to rise in pH, depending on the TA level with higher TA having a greater tendency to rise in pH due to greater outgassing of carbon dioxide. If you keep the TA lower or use a pool cover, then the pH tends to be more stable.

Technically, as water temperature gets colder, the pH should rise somewhat, all else equal, and that's in addition to whatever pH rise occurs due to the TA. Standard pool water at a pH of 7.5 at 85F will rise to a pH of 7.7 at 55F and 7.8 at 40F even if the pool is covered so there is no outgassing of carbon dioxide to make the pH rise.

Richard

I am adding more PH up to keep the PH above 7.3. The Mr. Frog Chlorinator is an in line chlorinator that I have not been using due to the feedback I received on this website.

I generally use stabilized granular chlorine and use the solar cover everyday.

Does this shed any light?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.