Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: PH Reductions in Cold Weather???

1. Back To Top    #1

PH Reductions in Cold Weather???

Now that the pool season is almost officially over here, (NorthEast) I have been noticing that I have needed to add PH at a more regular basis than I did all summer long? Is this normal or an indicator of bad things to come? I can't say it's alarming, just something I noticed. Below are my latest results

FC 2.5
    CC 0
    TC 2.5
    Alkalinity 110
    CYA 35
    Calcium 30
    -400 sq ft ingroung Fiji (straight back kidney) ~ 13,500 gallons - Vinyl Liner - 3 to 6 Feet
    -Hayward 1.5 HP Super Pump
    -Hayward Perflex DE Filter EC65A
    -Hayward H 250 Heater

2. Back To Top    #2

So are you saying that the pH is dropping and you are adding more pH Up to compensate? Or do I have that backwards and the pH is rising and you are adding more acid to compensate? Also, how are you chlorinating your pool and what is "Mr. Frog Chlorinator"?

Most pools that are chlorinated using a hypochlorite source of chlorine (e.g. bleach, chlorinating liquid, Cal-Hypo, lithium hypochlorite) will tend to rise in pH, depending on the TA level with higher TA having a greater tendency to rise in pH due to greater outgassing of carbon dioxide. If you keep the TA lower or use a pool cover, then the pH tends to be more stable.

Technically, as water temperature gets colder, the pH should rise somewhat, all else equal, and that's in addition to whatever pH rise occurs due to the TA. Standard pool water at a pH of 7.5 at 85F will rise to a pH of 7.7 at 55F and 7.8 at 40F even if the pool is covered so there is no outgassing of carbon dioxide to make the pH rise.

Richard
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

3. Back To Top    #3

I am adding more PH up to keep the PH above 7.3. The Mr. Frog Chlorinator is an in line chlorinator that I have not been using due to the feedback I received on this website.

I generally use stabilized granular chlorine and use the solar cover everyday.

Does this shed any light?
    -400 sq ft ingroung Fiji (straight back kidney) ~ 13,500 gallons - Vinyl Liner - 3 to 6 Feet
    -Hayward 1.5 HP Super Pump
    -Hayward Perflex DE Filter EC65A
    -Hayward H 250 Heater