aqua-rite generator installation

Jan 3, 2010
Claremont california
Hello friends,

I want to install an aqua-rite chlorine generator. I am looking at my pool’s equipment plumbing, and I noticed that heater’s copper pipe water return had a very short expand. It appears that I do not have a pipe long enough to install my generator. I am looking for alternatives so that I can overcome the following problems.
Problems:
1. Short water return pipe.
2. Pool main copper pipes coming from pool very close to heater.
3. Close proximity of heather to filter and pump.
Options: I can cut all of the pipes to make the proper installation of the generator. But I still have the problem of the heater being very close to the copper pipes.
I just added a photo to show the installation. Copper pipe.
Thanks in advance, I welcome any input,
George

Copper pipe is

If you post a photo it would help us be more specific.

When working in a tight space the usual solution is to cut one of the pipes and run out to the side and back, mounting the SWG on one of the horizontal runs.

An obviously modified heater stubout. Not too concerned with the left side stubout, as this is the cold water inlet side. The right side is the outlet side, and will be about 10-15 degrees higher than the inlet water temperature.

However, when the pump shuts down, there should be a firemans switch protection device to allow the pipes to cool down first. The normal length of stub out, either 36" or 48", allows more protection from excessive heat. Going straight to PVC, sch 40 pipe, is not common for a heater connection, unless there is a firemans switch. This is commonly a CPVC (heat treated) adapter fitting.

I would recommend getting a new outlet heater stubout, and replumbing it correctly to fit your cell.

Just realized another thing, the outlet stubout should be positioned down, and not horizontal. This allows the highest point after the heater,which is pvc, to entrap the hotter water from the heater, leading to a potential pvc meltdown.
I'm surprised you have not encountered this situation yet. That short, modified heater stubout is not a safe condition.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.