AquaGenie Skimmer - First Impressions

el_steak

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 15, 2007
Ottawa, Canada
Since a few people showed interest for it, here are my first impressions of the Aqua Genie skimmer.

I've had my pool filled with water less than a week ago, so this is just preliminary info.

There's a fairly large Telia (basswood) tree in my neighbors yard, about 10 feet from the edge of my pool. This is a nasty dirty tree, continually discharging leaves, seeds and ugly beetles. Before we had the inground pool installed, we had one of those Intex inflatable swimming pools under it and it was always filled with debris falling from the tree.

So far, I'm amazed with how clean my pool as stayed. As soon as a leave falls in the pool, you can see it go fairly rapidly around the pool wall and directly in the skimmer. Not a single debris has had time to sink to the bottom of the pool, they all end-up directly in the skimmer basket. I've had to vacuum the bottom of my pool, but only to remove sand and rocks that fell in the pool during the installation of the concrete sidewalk.

The leaf skimmer net is still in the box, I've had no reasons to use it yet.

I don't know how much of this is due to the Aqua Genie design or if any skimmer would work the same with the small size and shape of my pool, but so far I'm a happy camper ;)

Seems to me that it's the skimmer, not just the small size of your pool, that is keeping it clean! My pool is similar in size to yours AND is indoors, and I certainly do have to vacuum up stuff that falls in (bugs, leaves, etc.)

Enjoyed your pics--your pool looks lovely!

Why did you want an Aqua Genie skimmer? Why did you choose no main drain? Did you talk to someone or someone recommended it to you? I have an Aqua Genie and have wondered why the previous owner had it installed instead of main drain and regular skimmer.

I have 36,000 gal inground pool with Aqua Genie and while it cleans surface fast, it doesn't circulate water well. I have seen submerged leaves shoot out about 6 feet from the return, then get drawn back to about a foot then drop back down and the cycle continues.

When I talk to other pool owners or (gasp! pool store), must have no idea of what Aqua Genie skimmer say. I must admit, the first two years of owning house with pool, I visited pool store. This year, I have been there to buy a pump, stabilizer, and test kit. Bleach from Wal-Mart, Baking soda from Sams, and that's about it. Remarkable. Water is clearer this year that when we moved in.

What I did to combat the circulation issue: drop vacum head in shallow head, have put water hose facet in the main return, ran 100 foot of garden hose to deep end of pool.

Last year I did that and you could see a visable water difference is the cleaner water pushed it's way to the shallow end.

Brother in law is plumber. he talked to pool cleaning guys. Most will simpley drop vacum in shallow end and return after four houre to vacum.

Of course, I do not claim to be expert in water, just am wanting to expand my knowledge of pool. I knew nothing of pools except how to swim in one util 3 years ago.

Why did you want an Aqua Genie skimmer? Why did you choose no main drain?

I didn't ask for it, the pool builder installs it in all of his pools. For a pool over 20000gal though they install 2 aqua genies. Do you have only one for your big pool?

Their reasoning is the less holes you cut in the vinyl the less risk of trouble you'll have. However, I'm sure it's cheaper for them to install the plumbing for 1 integrated skimmer/return than for seperate skimmer and returns.

The performance of the device is probably influenced a lot by its location, the pool size and the pool shape. Seems to work fine in my case.

thats why i want the aqua genes, i have two skimmers with returns 5 feet away from them, plus the builder put no main drain even in my big pool so that sounds like a winner to me.

also while doing research on it, i learned it has a clorine tank, do you you it or just stick to the swg, do you have to use it because i like my auto clorinator better, it has more control.

Ah, I see the problem now. I only have one Aqua Genie skimmer. If it had another one or two, it would probably be all right. My opinion is that my pool / surrounding area was done cheaply. Common, when you get out of the ladder and go to the slide, you have to walk on grass! Yuck, grass clippings in pool even with lawn mower with bagger! It needs concrete or decking.

Best wishes for you and your pool! The BBB really does work and is less time / less money than pool store bought chemicals.

Get a good test skit if you haven't yet and you're good to go!

also while doing research on it, i learned it has a clorine tank, do you you it or just stick to the swg, do you have to use it because i like my auto clorinator better, it has more control.

No, you don't have to use it. It's just a little plastic container above the skimmer for trichlorine tablets. It has a small water hose feeding it. I haven't used it and don't plan to.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.