LifeTime Supporter
Aug 21, 2007
West Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I hope I don't wear out my welcome with all of my questions. Quite truthfully, if it weren't for this board I would never have been able to get my pool to where it is now. :-D

My friend, that I am helping with her pool algae, recently had her pool drained and acid washed. New water was added a few weeks ago. 2 weeks after the addition of the fresh water large rust colored stains appeared on her steps. She has never had this before and has no idea of how to treat it. Pool is 15,000 gallon, inground plaster.

Thank you again,

Vonda

That sounds like it might be iron stains from the fill water. Try rubbing a stain gently with a sock containing a couple of crushed vitamin C tablets. If the stain goes away in that local area it is a metal stain, most likely iron. Metal stains caught early can often be removed by lowering the PH a little and adding sequesterant. If they are persistant you may need to do a full ascorbic acid treatment.

If the vitamin C doesn't work then it is something else and we can try other things.

There are many different brands of sequesterant. I like Jack's Magic brand (Purple for a salt pool, Blue with new plaster, Pink otherwise) or ProTeam Metal Magic but many others are available and some of them are noticably cheaper.

Sequesterant is pretty much only sold at pool stores (both regular and Internet).

I am still attempting to help my friend with her pool. The copper color stain on her step appeared after the acid wash treatment by a brush that was left by the pool guy. This was before the water was added. She has attempted to contact him since it happened and he does not respond. This is the only place on the plaste with this stain.

We tried the Vitamin C - nothing, I used the MA in the sprayer that worked for my stains and it did not work either. She did put some chlorine granules on top of it and overnight the stains appeared a little lighter, but not much.

What would be the best course of treatment?

Thanks so much,

Vonda

Her pool is approx. 15,000 gallon, inground plaster

FC 5
CC 0
PH 7.6
CH 200
TA 90
CYA 30

You are getting towards the end of my stain knowledge. Is there any chance this is paint, rather than staining? You could also try something like the Jacks Magic Stain Identificaiton Kit, which covers one or two of the more obscure possibilities that you haven't tried yet. Or someone else here might chime in with a suggestion.

Thanks Jason,

I added the kit to my order. The pool guy was using a brush on the walls of the pool when he acid washed. He left the brush on the step for a bit and the stain was left. My friend said that it was a regular type pool brush with nothing on it. Hopefully, this kit will ID it.

Vonda

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.