Would like your opinion about this solar panel setup.

looper

May 6, 2010
Last year I purchased 2 2'x20' panels for my 24' AGP. The results were noticable, but not where I want them to be, so I purchased 2 more panels this year. I also decided to replace the very difficult to use Home Depot valves, and go with Jandy valves, since I do plan on automating them soon. The panels are located next to the pool (on the ground last year, probably on a custom built rack this year). Can anyone see any major problems with the new valve layout?

Click to enlarge

Would like to find out before I start gluing parts together ;)

The standard way to automate solar requires measuring the temperature of the panels, not the water coming back from the panels. You need to be able to know how warm the panels are even when no water is flowing to them. Of course, it is also nice to know the temperature of the water coming back from the panels, it is just that the automation doesn't need it.

So basically as long as the panel temperatures are higher than ambient temps, redirect the water via the valves? Originally I was going to use the temp of the water exiting the panels, but someone else just explained to me that measuring the panels is the correct way. I guess I need to find some pictures showing how these sensors are mounted on the panel.

The purpose of the panel temperature probe is to measure the sun's energy hitting the panels. So the probe is usually strapped to one of the pipes feeding the panels. There is a small flange on the probe which can be attached directly to the pipe with a cable tie. If done correctly, the probe itself will be slightly above the pipe. If the probe part touches the pipe or panel it will read a lot cooler than it should and could shut down the solar valve when there is still heat hitting the panels.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.