why do SWG's cost so much compared to Intex?

May 17, 2009
Jasper, TN
I'm not looking for 'cause you get what you pay for' answers. I know that already.

And I'm talking about AGP only.

BUT.... for up to like 24' pools, a less than $200 Intex SWG on average lasts 3+ years (according to reports on this board). Without going into specific brands and models, a typical SWG rated for a typical 24' pool has usually a 1yr warranty on the cell. Cell replacement can cost the same as buying 2-3 Intex units.

Even the BIG AGP's like up to 28' can take two Intex units for WAY, WAY less than the 'big boy SWG's'. I'm just curious why people pay as much for a SWG as they did for the pool itself sometimes.

Every post from people who have the Intex unit love it and state that it provides more than enough chlorine, even the new model that produces less.

How can Intex make such a decent product for so little? And why haven't other brands followed suit and made similar lower end models for the AGP market? (not talking about the low regarded hang over the edge units).

It's not that bad either :lol: My unit is now on season 3, with a back-up sitting in the garage. At $150-$200 a pop, they are well worth their money, IMO. That said, the Intex does have it's issues and where you do encounter issues, you might as well toss it out and get a new one, vs. the higher end models. The higher end models, give you more features (salt level, temp, % setting, remember run time settings upon power failure etc) and likely are more reliable. That said $150 for not having to lug jugs...you get my point.

The intex is like a entry level vehicle with a gas pedal, brake and steering wheel, cool/heat fan settings and will get you from point A to point B. A higher end SWG unit is like a higher end vehicle, with parking assist, dual climate control, better warranty, UL listed, etc... and hence costs more.

Strannik said:
i think if you do a search on 'Intex' on this forum you'll find that it's not as decent as you think

I have and that's what led me to BUY an Intex unit because I don't see many complaints about it. I don't know where you are seeing otherwise.

I know some people have had issues but I'm also reading threads of $800+ SWG's having issues, dieing in 2 years, no producing chlorine, etc.

And remember people only come here usually when they have a problem, so we don't get to read too often from people who have a SWG that works as it should.... because... well, it's working as it should :)

Again, I'm not thinking or saying that an Intex SWG is as good as all the others. But for a typical AGP I don't see the advantage of paying more.

Oh... and I'm about to head to WM and return my $199 Intex. On WM dot com, the same item is $139!!!! :grrrr: And they won't price match their own website... stupid.

I have the Aqua Trol -RJ unit.. Had it for 3 years now-- Only problem I ever had was the original cell that came with it --had a bad plug where it plugs into the unit. Once I got the replacement --it has been running with no problems thru 3 seasons now--same cell.. I paid 435.00 for the whole set up.. It has the pump timer control which is very easy to set and use. I guess there can be lemons in anything.. I do have a spare cell that I got on EBAY... Just in case as a backup. I guess it all depends on what features you like to have and want. I am very happy with the choice.

rastoma said:
Strannik said:
i think if you do a search on 'Intex' on this forum you'll find that it's not as decent as you think

I have and that's what led me to BUY an Intex unit because I don't see many complaints about it. I don't know where you are seeing otherwise.

I know some people have had issues but I'm also reading threads of $800+ SWG's having issues, dieing in 2 years, no producing chlorine, etc.
there were two or three threads a while back where a lot of people would complain about their problems with Intex, and they were quite a long threads. i haven't seen the same thread for any other manufacturer.

i doubt anyone would pay 400 bucks for Intex, so it kinda costs what it's worth

as I said, it costs money to make a decent unit, and the returns will be quite low in the AGP land, hence why there aren't many companies making portable units specifically for AGPs

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.