Lighting replacement

DRoessler

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 22, 2011
Yet another rebuilding question :)
Apparently, I have a 12v sunlight pool light that is fastened with a pool ring; no actual niche is present as far as we can tell. Looking at the available lighting options, I am thinking of using an LED based replacement setup; no colors, not worth it to me. Question is, stay with 12v (and additional transformer cost) or move to 120v with a small bit of rewire? I will probably have to replace the junction box regardless.

Any experience on advantage/disadvantage of either?

How hard can it be (He types with fingers in cheek)? :goodjob:
"electrical code for 120v pool lights" from junction to the lamp, or panel to junction?

At the moment, I have breaker protected line voltage to (apparently) a transformer, with #18 through conduit to the junction. Seems that at worst I'd be pulling a new 3 wire feed; I believe the light is switched prior to the step down, but obviously I'd have to confirm.

The 12v lamps seem to run a few dollars more, and I'll probably need a new transformer (~$100). Of course the cost is much less than an ambulance ride :shock:

The main requirements for 120v lights that don't apply to 12v lights are a light niche specifically approved for use with 120v lights and a separate connection to the bonding system. There are some other details that vary a little from place to place, but those are the main issues.

Hmm... I don't think there is a niche :oops:
The existing light was sunlight bulb/fixture in an ~ 11" light ring, with thumbscrews holding it in an ~ 9.5" opening. Without draining, is there some way to tell for certain? At this point, the pool is a tad green to see much of anything.

Again, hmm...
I thought niches were the cup and frame the light attached to. It is unlikely the light is anything but original. In any event, sounds like 12v is the safest way to go at this point, especially if I want to avoid a lot more effort.

It gets expensive asking questions here :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.