Air in the filter.....

May 23, 2009
Typical newbie question I am sure but I cant figure this out. I have a Hayward DE filter. 2 year old pump (not sure what size). What is going on is that I always bleed off the air after starting the pump. I get all the air out of the filter. But maybe 2 hours later I go back and the Filter has air built back up in it. not alot but I can bleed it off for maybe 4 or 5 sec until water comes out. I assume this is from a leak somewhere but how do I figure that out?

Thanks for the help!

I know that in my cartridge filter there is a small thin tube with a strainer-like filter at its end that goes from the top of the filter to the outlet port -- it's called a "breather tube assembly" and connects through the "manifold assembly" into the "outlet tube". Any air in the filter will be removed through this tube and yes, it bypasses the filter elements (which is why it has a strainer so the thin tube does not get clogged from the unfiltered water). Does your filter have that sort of thing? In one of the Hayward DE manuals I looked at here, there is something called a "Flex Air Relief Assembly" that looks like it performs the same function, though it does not reach the top of the filter so I'd expect there to be more air near the top of the filter as a result. So perhaps what you are experiencing is normal. What model filter do you have? I can look at the exploded view of the filter in its manual to give you more info.

I'm going to have to disagree. Having air in a filter is never a good thing. You are losing effective filtration area, and more importantly, you have a serious potential safety hazard. Air under pressure in a filter means the potential for unplanned filter seperation, which can lead to injury and property damage. All NSF listed filters are supposed to have a functioning internal air relief. If the Hayward filter you have doesn't have one, I could recommend some filters that DO have a functional air relief :-D, I'll let you figure out what brand I would recommend. . .

First place to check is always your pump lid. This is the most common place to have a leak suction side that can lead to air in the filter.

Really? At 1 oclock in the morning you couldn't wait more than an hour for someone to answer. :) You're lucky that Richard is up at that time. Just funnin you a little.

Sounds like you have a suction side leak some where. A few common places to check are;
1. The water level in the skimmer. Is it making a vortex and sucking air in there?
2. The skimmer weir. Is it operating freely and not sticking?
3. The pump strainer basket lid. Does it have any air in it and is the seal clean and lubed well?
4. The pump basket drain plug(s). Is it tight and sealed properly?
5. Is there any signs of water drips along the suction piping?

Report back and we'll help diagnose more.

I didn't mean to leave the air in the filter, I meant that most pools get a little air in the filter now and then and it doesn't mean that anything is broken. Obviously, if there is air in the filter you should let it out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.