Opening the pool. Results are as follows:

FC- 0
CC - 0
TC - 0
pH - 8.2
T/A - 40
CH - 140
CYA - 20

I have a general understanding of the chemicals, but I'm not clear on how to lower my ph without raising TA. I've got the muriatic acid to add and the baking soda, but I'm not clear as to what to do when. I added the acid and it brought the ph down to normal levels, then I added bs to raise the TA, and it didn't change the TA at all, but sent the pH back up to 8.2. Not sure what to do now. Sorry, I'm a newbie at this.

Bring your pH down to 7.2 then add more Baking Soda to go up 10 ppm at a time. Rinse and repeat until you get your TA to where you want it. Go slow - no larger than steps of 10ppm and adjust your measurements if neede

Using liquid bleach for chlorine. Haven't added any yet, as it was my understanding that I needed to get the ph in line before I did so.

Water temp is 68.

Thanks for the info. Sounds like I'm on the right track, just need to continue the process.

Should I add chlorine now, or wait for the pH and TA to be in line?

After you get your pH down by following the advice above, get some chlorine in your pool PRONTO!

EDIT: I wrote this without seeing your post.....looks like we're on the same page. :lol: :lol:

Unless you know that the pH in the pool tends to be stable at a higher TA level, I wouldn't raise the TA too much -- not more than a TA target of 80 ppm assuming you're using chlorinating liquid or bleach. It's very easy to raise TA by adding baking soda, but lowering TA takes longer due to the aeration process which is not fast, especially at lower TA levels.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Normally muriatic acid is the best thing to use to lower PH, but sodium bisulfate, which we call dry acid, is fine to use also.

If the PH is constantly going up in your pool, which can be happing for a couple of different reasons, it might seem like adding PH Down has no effect, which you have actually kept the PH from going up.

If you post a full set of water test results, we can give you a better idea of what might be happening.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.