Pool Pilot Temp Readings

Sep 14, 2007
Virginia
My husband installed our new Pool Pilot Digital this weekend. The temperature has been about 10 degrees off since we cut the unit on, about 10 degrees higher than the pool water. I had thought it was a fluke with the unit being new and just installed but it has constantly shown the water temp in the 80 degree range even though the pool water is actually around 71 degrees. I have checked the obvious, or those I thought of anyway. I made sure the pool has been running and not sitting for a while before I check the temp reading. The pool gets full sun all morning until later afternoon and the equipment (where the SWG is located) is mostly shaded throughout the day. For that reason I would have thought the pool would show a higher temp than the Pool Pilot but it is the opposite. I checked the pool water with 2 seperate thermometers and checked those by bringing them inside and testing different temps of water out of the tap. Has anyone else come across this problem? I am a little worried about trusting any of the displays' readings knowing this test is off. I hope it is simply an adjustment problem that is easily fixed. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Stacy

Welcome to TFP!

The temperature reading is only accurate when the pump is running. If the sun is shinning directly on the top of the manifold it can sometimes read a little high, though 10 degrees seems extreme. You should double check both ends of the trisensor cable. A lose connection could cause the temperature to be off. Another possibility is a heater. If you have a pool heater running the temperature will read high. If none of those apply you can calibrate the temperature reading on the maintenance menu.

Sweetpotato,

If the temp reading has not corrected itself, I would recommend contacting our customers service tech line for service. 2-5 degrees would be as accurate as it may get, but 10 degrees is too much of a swing.

The temperature display only has to do with the automatic temperature compensation feature and will affect when the unit automatically changes the Purifier % output. In the overall scope it would only affect the adjustment when it gets colder in that it may product too much chlorine, unless you manually adjust the % to avoid that condition. From there, regardless of the temperature displayed, it should automatically compensate properly (just that your temp display would be different from the actual temp).

Thanks for selecting Pool Pilot.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.