Aug 25, 2007
SW Louisiana
here are my #'s
salt 3000
fc 3.9
tc 3.9
ph 8 (adding acid now)
hardness 200
cya 55 (adding 3# so I'll be up for SWG recomm. range)
ta 80
these numbers are from the Pool store, as i only have a wmart kit.
here are 2 photos also.
What have i neglected to have this happen, this is not new, it was there last summer. Is there any way to remove it?
hope someone can help me.
thanks,
dana

Attachments

• IMG_2986.JPG
    IMG_2986.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_2988.JPG
    IMG_2988.JPG
    41.8 KB · Views: 151
From it's appearance, I would say it's efflouresence.....leeching of minerals from the grout or tile.

Start with a dilution of 5:1 muriatic acid (wear rubber gloves) and see if that doesn't remove it. If no luck, increase the strength of the muriatic until you see it start to foam when you apply it to the area to be cleaned. Don't use any stronger than necessary to remove the offensive area.......it'll have a tendency to eat your grout a little if you get it too strong.

I believe that will remove it. You may have to do it again in a year or so.

duraleigh said:
From it's appearance, I would say it's efflouresence.....leeching of minerals from the grout or tile.

Start with a dilution of 5:1 muriatic acid (wear rubber gloves) and see if that doesn't remove it. If no luck, increase the strength of the muriatic until you see it start to foam when you apply it to the area to be cleaned. Don't use any stronger than necessary to remove the offensive area.......it'll have a tendency to eat your grout a little if you get it too strong.

I believe that will remove it. You may have to do it again in a year or so.

duraleigh,

our pool was only started a few weeks ago and I am already seeing the same thing. Is this typical with grout and mortar?

Also, just to make sure that I have the dilution correct, 5 parts acid to 1 part water. Is that right?

Add 1 part of acid to 5 parts of water.

Efflouresence is a known issue with grout and mortar caused by impurities in the mix. Manufacturers try to avoid it, but it still happens occasionally. It can happen fairly quickly while the grout/mortar is curing and can also occur far more slowly after curing is complete.

How will i get it on there, toothbrush (or will the acid eat it up)?
Rubber gloves and a kitchen scrubber sponge (synthetic)....one side of the sponge has an abrasive plastic layer on it.

Depending on what the sponge is made of, the acid may slowly eat it........small price to get your tile clean.

To repeat, if 5:1 ratio doesn't causing foaming on the material you're trying to remove, you need to strengthen the ratio until it does.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.