1. Back To Top    #1

scaling on tile and grout

here are my #'s
    salt 3000
    fc 3.9
    tc 3.9
    ph 8 (adding acid now)
    hardness 200
    cya 55 (adding 3# so I'll be up for SWG recomm. range)
    ta 80
    these numbers are from the Pool store, as i only have a wmart kit.
    here are 2 photos also.
    What have i neglected to have this happen, this is not new, it was there last summer. Is there any way to remove it?
    hope someone can help me.
    thanks,
    dana
    Attached Images Attached Images
    danamomof8
    2005 - 20K gallon gunite, aquarite turbo cell SWG, 3-5-3.5 depth, pentair 60sq ft DE filter

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    From it's appearance, I would say it's efflouresence.....leeching of minerals from the grout or tile.

Start with a dilution of 5:1 muriatic acid (wear rubber gloves) and see if that doesn't remove it. If no luck, increase the strength of the muriatic until you see it start to foam when you apply it to the area to be cleaned. Don't use any stronger than necessary to remove the offensive area.......it'll have a tendency to eat your grout a little if you get it too strong.

I believe that will remove it. You may have to do it again in a year or so.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    i forgot to mention there has been a lot of days that i left my pool level WAY up there. don't know if this makes a difference in what it is.
    dana
    danamomof8
    2005 - 20K gallon gunite, aquarite turbo cell SWG, 3-5-3.5 depth, pentair 60sq ft DE filter

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry
    Even if it's calcium scaling from the pool (your current numbers don't really seem to indicate that) the cure will still be the same....muriatic acid.
    Dave S. - Forum owner

5. Back To Top    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    Even if it's calcium scaling from the pool (your current numbers don't really seem to indicate that) the cure will still be the same....muriatic acid.
    How will i get it on there, toothbrush (or will the acid eat it up)?
    dana
    danamomof8

6. Back To Top    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    From it's appearance, I would say it's efflouresence.....leeching of minerals from the grout or tile.

Start with a dilution of 5:1 muriatic acid (wear rubber gloves) and see if that doesn't remove it. If no luck, increase the strength of the muriatic until you see it start to foam when you apply it to the area to be cleaned. Don't use any stronger than necessary to remove the offensive area.......it'll have a tendency to eat your grout a little if you get it too strong.

I believe that will remove it. You may have to do it again in a year or so.
    duraleigh,

our pool was only started a few weeks ago and I am already seeing the same thing. Is this typical with grout and mortar?

Also, just to make sure that I have the dilution correct, 5 parts acid to 1 part water. Is that right?
    Jay
    36' x19' Freeform, 16' waterfall w/ groto and slide, 5' x 10' sundeck, 12" raised spa. Pentair IntelliTouch, Pentair IntelliFlo 4 x 160, Master Temp 400, IntelliChlor Chlorine generator, Aqua Blue PebbleSheen

7. Back To Top    #7
    Add 1 part of acid to 5 parts of water.

Efflouresence is a known issue with grout and mortar caused by impurities in the mix. Manufacturers try to avoid it, but it still happens occasionally. It can happen fairly quickly while the grout/mortar is curing and can also occur far more slowly after curing is complete.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry
    How will i get it on there, toothbrush (or will the acid eat it up)?
    Rubber gloves and a kitchen scrubber sponge (synthetic)....one side of the sponge has an abrasive plastic layer on it.

Depending on what the sponge is made of, the acid may slowly eat it........small price to get your tile clean.

To repeat, if 5:1 ratio doesn't causing foaming on the material you're trying to remove, you need to strengthen the ratio until it does.
    Dave S. - Forum owner

9. Back To Top    #9

Why the gloves??
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)