Building Insulation

cateng

May 30, 2007
Western KY
The home I recently purchased has a metal pole barn/garage. I was thinking about insulating it. I was wondering if anyone had experience with insulating an existing pole barn. I am looking a cheap method. It doesnt have to be perfect I just want it comfortable in the winter. I'll probably put a wood stove and a salamander heater in it. I am leaning towards 4X8 sheets of rigid foam insulation but I am also considering spray foam insulation. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I'd go with the foil backed sheets. I have 32X64 building that has two big sliding doors that have gaps at the bottom that has the foil backed 1/2" insulation all over. Temp is always warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer even with no heating or cooling.

JMHO - Having it sprayed in is nice, but not cheap. We had our icehouse completely sprayed in (10x12) and it was very expensive - but the most heat efficient method of insulating we could find.

On the other hand, around a year ago we insulated our other garage which was a 100 yo barn we had moved in onto a slab and reinforced (unbelievably great shape - the wood used years ago was sound!) We used the rolls of fiberglass insulation, which are probably your most cost efficient method of installation - rigid foam is not cheap. We looked at all of them cost wise - price by sq foot, the rolls were the cheapest to buy and install. Is it the best? Maybe not, but its a garage, not our house.

Just my opinion and years of observation, but the spray on method I would stay away from, yes it is a good insulation and yes it is expensive BUT after 5-8 years it will start falling off the walls

Poolidiot said:
Just my opinion and years of observation, but the spray on method I would stay away from, yes it is a good insulation and yes it is expensive BUT after 5-8 years it will start falling off the walls

I haven't had any fall off but mine is holding moisture between the insulation and the steel and it's rusting from the inside out. :evil:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.