Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Building Insulation

1. Back To Top    #1

Building Insulation

The home I recently purchased has a metal pole barn/garage. I was thinking about insulating it. I was wondering if anyone had experience with insulating an existing pole barn. I am looking a cheap method. It doesnt have to be perfect I just want it comfortable in the winter. I'll probably put a wood stove and a salamander heater in it. I am leaning towards 4X8 sheets of rigid foam insulation but I am also considering spray foam insulation. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    20,000 gal. Vinyl
    1.5 hp pump 300 lb. sand filter.

2. Back To Top    #2
    I'd go with the foil backed sheets. I have 32X64 building that has two big sliding doors that have gaps at the bottom that has the foil backed 1/2" insulation all over. Temp is always warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer even with no heating or cooling.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3
    JMHO - Having it sprayed in is nice, but not cheap. We had our icehouse completely sprayed in (10x12) and it was very expensive - but the most heat efficient method of insulating we could find.

On the other hand, around a year ago we insulated our other garage which was a 100 yo barn we had moved in onto a slab and reinforced (unbelievably great shape - the wood used years ago was sound!) We used the rolls of fiberglass insulation, which are probably your most cost efficient method of installation - rigid foam is not cheap. We looked at all of them cost wise - price by sq foot, the rolls were the cheapest to buy and install. Is it the best? Maybe not, but its a garage, not our house.
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!

4. Back To Top    #4

Just my opinion and years of observation, but the spray on method I would stay away from, yes it is a good insulation and yes it is expensive BUT after 5-8 years it will start falling off the walls
    27' Round AG, 17,200 gallons, sand filter

5. Back To Top    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Poolidiot
    Just my opinion and years of observation, but the spray on method I would stay away from, yes it is a good insulation and yes it is expensive BUT after 5-8 years it will start falling off the walls
    I haven't had any fall off but mine is holding moisture between the insulation and the steel and it's rusting from the inside out.
    16' by 32' cornelius AG vinyl liner, 6' deep end, 14500 gal.
    Hayward 250 Lb sand filter
    Hayward 40 GPM pump
    2-2' by 20' sun grabber solar heater.
    4 gal Liquidator. BBB