CYA Addition

joel0711

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 25, 2010
East Tennessee, 40 miles west of Knoxville Tn.
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
My cya has dropped to less than 20. I can fill the test tube to overflow and still see the black dot in the bottom. I just checked it 4 times. I am having to drain due to heavy rains in our area.
I still have a full can of 3 inch pucks that i used in the in-line chlornator before i got the liquidator.
Can anyone tell me how many pucks I would have to put in the chlornator to raise cya to 40 or so? Or should I fill the in line then monitor cya after approx. a week??
I'm still shocking with liquid chlorine today. I'm real close but haven't done an overnite drop test due to all the rain we're having,hopefully toward the end of the week the weather will calm down.
I have powdered cya I could put in skimmer but I believe I read this is bad on pipes. Also wife doesnt want it suspended at the returns due to overly inqusitive dogs we have!
Any advise is badly needed------THANKS

that's fast jason--thanks.... I'll put 12 in and set it half open,or full open if you suggest. I will turn liquidator down some also if that is ok. I've been runing 20 ppm chlorine while shocking and have went from a swamp last friday morning to clear today but with some algae still present on the bottom acting like it's dust when swept toward drain. Figured I might as well use up some of the pucks I have.

I would be tempted to save the pucks for a vacation or time away and simply add the necessary CYA. Either way works but having some pucks around might prevent you from having to buy a bucket full later on.

You don't want to add 12 tabs to a feeder, it's too many to use at one time. You shouldn't use more than about 3 at a time.

You can put the granular cyanuric acid in a cotton sock and put that in the skimmer. You should allow the pump to run continuously until all of the cyanuric acid is dissolved.

Thanks for advise guys!! Had major storms in my area last night. I was draining pool when the power went off. I lucked out and had ran pump just enough to produce a siphon affect to drain some rain water. My gauge gave 5.5 inches of rain in little over 1.5 hours and the pool was already very full. When the power went off I thought for sure I had major problems but I was glad to see water running out of the drain pipe. It took awhile and made for a long night but all turned out well in my area. Thanks Again!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.