New to SWG - - Sanity Check

Bart

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 24, 2010
Northern Virginia
My pool was completed late last fall and they just put the salt in and fired up the SWG for the first time yesterday. Since this is all brand new to me, I wanted to do a sanity check with the pros in here to compare what I (thought I) heard from the pool guys.

Here’s what happened and what they told me:

1. They dumped a bunch of 40 pound bags of salt into the pool until the chlorine level on the SWG was 3.0.
2. They told me to wait 48 hours and hit the “Boost” button so the machine will start generating chlorine.
3. After 48 more hours, they said to hit the “Boost” button again to turn it off and then set the level to 35%. Then start checking the chlorine level in the pool and adjust the percentage up or down depending on the reading.

I think that’s what they told me, but I left my notes at home so some of my terminology may be a little off. My questions are: 1) does that make sense? And 2) do I have to wait any period of time before I go swimming, either after hitting “Boost” or after turning it off?

Thanks!

That all makes sense, though I wouldn't do it that way. Personally, I would add some chlorine manually right away (say 2 ppm) and again tomorrow. After the 24 hour wait for the salt to dissolve turn the SWG straight to 35%. That isn't a huge difference, but it can get you swimming today instead of waiting three or four days.

Thanks folks, that was quick!

One question on the chlorine.......I don't have any on hand other than the little "pucks" you put in the skimmer baskets. Will those do the trick or so I have to purchase some liquid or crystals?

If your pump is running 24 hours a day you can put the tablets in the skimmers but if it's not then I wouldn't. Also if the pool guys put CYA into your pool the tablets will increase it. Unless you know how much they put in and that you need to add any I'd just get a couple small jugs of bleach and add the FC that way.

If you don't have a good test kit now would be an excellent time to get one.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Bart said:
Thanks Bama. They only added salt no Cyanuric acid.

When you say small jugs of bleach, do you mean, say, 2 1-gallon bottles of Chlorox bleach?

Use only un-scented bleach. And no need to get Chlorox brand. Store brand is fine. Wal-Mart is a good source for cheap plain bleach.

If you have no way of testing the water for CYA, order you a TFTEST kit asap. But for now, at least get some test strips from WM or local pool store to test for CYA. Test strips are not good for accurate measurements but if you want to swim immediately, they are better than nothing and will keep you from adding too much CYA.

Also know that CYA does not dissolve quickly so it's not something you can dump in and check levels a couple of hours later. Most people put it in a stocking and hang it near a return jet. And it will take 24-48 hours before you need to test it again. A decent starting point is probably around 70ppm on a test strip until you get an accurate drop test like from TFTEST kits.

CYA is also called stabilizer so if you don't have a dedicated pool store locally, WM generally carries it. My local Lowe's carries it too.

Thanks again folks!

How much CYA do I need to purchase? And will I need to keep adding it as the season progresses or is it just to get the system started properly?

It's amazing what they DON'T tell you when they hand you the "keys" to the pool!

For 30,000 gallons starting from zero CYA you will need about 30 lbs to start with. I would add 25 lbs, give it a week, test and see if it needs adjusting.

CYA is normally only added once or twice a season. You lose CYA from splash out, backwashing, and any time you need to pump water out (typically rain overflow). Normally those are all very slow loses and the CYA will last the whole season, though now and then something like record rainfall or an extra splashy group of kids can mean adding more CYA midseason.

When looking at store brand bleach, I did notice that Kroger brand is only 2.9%, but they have another off brand (everyday living or something like that) that's the full 6%. Funny thing is, they are only about 2 cents per ounce different on price. Read the labels!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.