A few questions about my new pool

oasis1

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 18, 2010
Central Illinois
:wave:

We got our pool installed yesterday in the rain!!! We are still in the process of filling it.....pool has probably a foot of water in it so far. The electrician can't come til next Tuesday. All the installer told us yesterday was to fill the pool until 7:00 pm (from about 2:00). turn off water till morning. Then fill up to about 6 inches below the border of the liner? Someone is supposed to come and cut for the skimmer. They said we didn't have to be home for that, so I'm assuming that is all the information we will be getting. :?:
Hopefully I will be home when they come so i can ask a few more questions.

I'm sure i can get some answers here. Here goes.....................

Once the skimmer is done, how high do we fill the pool?

Since we can't run the pump til next week, will everything be okay til then?

I do have the TF-100, when do i test water?

Anything else you can think of that we should know would be greatly appreciated!!!

When the pool is complete you want to fill it 1/2 to 3/4 of the way up the skimmer opening.

If left till next tuesday without the pump you are very likely to get algae. Ideally you should add about 2 ppm of chlorine each evening until the pump is installed. To add chlorine without a pump you need to pour it slowly while walking around the pool and then brush the entire pool (or do something that will throughly mix it into the water).

You can go ahead and test your fill water to start getting an idea of what you are going to need to adjust. There is no point in measuring the chlorine or CYA levels. The chlorine will all be gone shortly, and fill water never has CYA in it.

Hi,

The water level should be somewhere between 1/2 and 3/4 the opening of the skimmer for the skimmer to work correctly. Everything should be ok until you can run the pump but you should still try and get some chlorine in the pool and manually circulate the water as best you can. That will help to keep the water from getting any algea while your waiting. I would go ahead and test your fill water to see what your starting numbers are and then adjust the chemistry accordingly.

Now here is the fun part, start getting all of the flaoties, towels, coolers (filled of course), and lounge chairs so once the pool is ready you will be ready!!! :party:

P.S. Jason types faster than me.

Thanks Jason and Mark,

I will not be getting in the pool...FREEZING!!!!! LOL I do have another electrician coming out today for an estimate, maybe they'll be able to do it sooner. Can I wait to test the water when it is at the required level? I can't get to it now anyway. Solar cover or not since we don't have the pump running yet? I just don't want to start off on the wrong foot with this pool....well I guess we already did since it was installed during a rainstorm!

Nice pool, our store offered that one as well. It was on back order last summer though so we went with a similar model. If you have someone else coming out you may want to see if they will temporarily connect the pump for you. Our electrician was also unable to do the job for about 6 days after the pool was installed but he told us a couple pieces we could pick up at Home Depot (box and cord) so he could connect the pump to power in the mean time. It took him about 5 min. to hook it up and we were able to avoid going green while waiting for permanent hook up.

melissab said:
Nice pool, our store offered that one as well. It was on back order last summer though so we went with a similar model. If you have someone else coming out you may want to see if they will temporarily connect the pump for you. Our electrician was also unable to do the job for about 6 days after the pool was installed but he told us a couple pieces we could pick up at Home Depot (box and cord) so he could connect the pump to power in the mean time. It took him about 5 min. to hook it up and we were able to avoid going green while waiting for permanent hook up.
Thanks Melissa, as soon as we get the estimate (hopefullywe'll get it today and it will be lower than the electrician we were going to go with), they(plumber and electric) said they can start as soon as we need them!!! :whoot: The guy also came and cut the skimmer and return and hooked it all up!!!! This is so exciting!!! Can't wait for the weather to warm up and stop raining everyday!!!

Can I wait to test water once it fills all the way?

Nice, one tip I can give is to make the final payment for the electrician payable upon a passing inspection if you have one. Wish someone had told me that. :hammer: . I'm still a newbie myself but I'm pretty sure last year the folks here told me to test once the pump was running. I know the pool store said have the pump run 24 hours before testing the water.

An hour or two usually will mix the pool water enough to allow for testing. Post up those results when you get them and, yes, try to get the pump running pretty quickly although with your water temp, it'll probably stay clear.

duraleigh said:
An hour or two usually will mix the pool water enough to allow for testing. Post up those results when you get them and, yes, try to get the pump running pretty quickly although with your water temp, it'll probably stay clear.

We are using a different electrician and they're doing the work tomorrow morning. The pool isn't even filled all the way yet. How long should I run the pump before I test the water.....which tests do I do? I have the TF-100. This is probably a silly question....how far in do I get the water for the tests?
Anything else anyone can think of, please let me know.

Thanks!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.