NEW AQUACAL HEAT PUMP - WIRING QUESTION

OAKS

Apr 27, 2011
So, the short story is that my wife and I purchased a bank-owned home, and the prior owner removed the heat pump prior to moving out (among other things)

So, we just had a new AquaCal Heatwave 120 installed and my electrician came out today to take a look at the set up. Mind you last year, we put just a switch on the side of our filter to turn the pool filter on and off - no time clock, nothing.

So, I need to find out the proper way to wire everything together with a time clock. I do not need an automated system as I do not intend to run a salt-chlorination (also removed from the home) and our Pool light is actually hard wired into our kitchen.

Please let me know what you would recommend as to whether there is a certain time clock for wiring the heat pump and the Hayward Pool Filter.

A simple intermatic timer can be used for the filter pump.

As for the heat pump, that doesnt need to be on a timer. Once the filter pump shuts off, the heater will shut itself down since there is no water flow though the heater. When the filter pump comes back on, the heater will start again if the water temp is below the set point of the heater.

Welcome to TFP!

The best thing to do is to get a timer with a fireman switch, like the Intermatic T104P201, and then wire the fireman switch to the heat pump so the heat pump won't come on when the pump is off. You don't have to do it this way, since the heat pump can tell when the pump is off. However, the flow detection switch in the heat pump isn't 100% reliable, so it is better if the timer tells the heat pump when to turn off just to be sure.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.