filter leaking from backwash pipe.

Jan 3, 2010
Claremont california
Hello Friends,
My 4000 series Pentair DE filter is leaking water from the backwash pipe. I truly do not know what I did wrong but I think the reason why the filter is leaking may be due to the fact I turned on the filter without the cap on. I want to repair the problem ASAP.

Please advise if you have any solutions to my leaking problem.
George

It's probably some grit stuck in there.

What I'd try - you may want to wait for other, more experienced replies - is:

Turn pump off. Open air bleed on top of filter, Move lever to backwash. Water should start glugging out. Close lever, open lever, close lever, until you've emptied the tank. That's only 20-30 gallons, not a huge loss. Then with backwash closed, start pump, let air escape, close air vent. Wait a few minutes, then vent the rest of the air, and watch for drips out the drain pipe.

I hope yours is easier to reach than mine...some genius installed mine so that I can get my left foot in close, twist my body and bend and stretch to reach the lever.

A leak would not have been caused by turning it on with the cap off, though that might make a mess :)

Leaks from the backwash pipe are almost always caused by a bad spider gasket on the main multi-port valve.

JasonLion said:
Leaks from the backwash pipe are almost always caused by a bad spider gasket on the main multi-port valve.
'cept ours doesn't really have a separate multiport. That's why I suggested a rinse before he tries tearing it apart. [attachment=0:197hxym6]filterbase.gif[/attachment:197hxym6]

Attachments

• filterbase.gif
    filterbase.gif
    24.2 KB · Views: 197
Richard320 said:
JasonLion said:
'cept ours doesn't really have a separate multiport. That's why I suggested a rinse before he tries tearing it apart. [attachment=1:a2wwozy5]filterbase.gif[/attachment:a2wwozy5]

Hello,

Thanks so much for the info. I rinsed and moved the back wash lever several times. The lever was a little tight. Any way, after I washed out some water, the pump was still leaking water from the same pipe. I then took the filters and spider. A two inch in diameter o-ring was broken. I think that might be the problem?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.