Quick question re brick size for coping

merl

Mar 8, 2011
My thread "nightmare" has taken a new turn. I can't seem to find out the size of brick that is typically used for coping. The bond beam is 12 and the builder is going to use 8 inch bullnose.
Is this standard?

Thanks

They make 8" and 12". Question is, what do you do with the other 4" between the coping and expansion joint, if you are doing one.
If we were to install 8" we would cut back the beam at an angle so the joint is right behind the finished coping.

Just a PB, good point I guess I will ask the guy, are you saying that it is not standard to use 8" when you have a 12" beam? I know we are supposed to have an expansion joint. Is there a downside to having the expansion joint at the beam?

We are doing stamped concrete.

just a pb now has me freaked out, he makes a good point. Can anyone verify that the expansion joint should not be on the beam? Now again I dont know what to do. I have a 12" beam, 8" coping and an expansion joint that wont really be an expansion joint if it is over the beam, right?

I just measured, 12' for sure is the beam size, but it is cut at an anlge back at about 9' to 10", I figure the brick will stick over the tile about an inch? I would then have the angle starting at about 2" back from the brick. Is this okay?

I read part of your other post and I really feel for you. Guys like this give us PB's a really bad name.
Did he spell out in the contract what size coping he was using?

Expansion is just a space to give both room to breath, as long as it is not connected to the beam that is not the issue.
The issue would be the thickness of the concrete. I assume the brick is 1.5 to 2.25" thick.
So the concrete where it would lay on top of the beam would only be 1.5 to 2.25" thick.
Not the best scenario.

No not in contract as we were to use flagstone but apparently they cant get the color my wife originally choose. I get what your saying, so yep Ill have about 2" to 3" of decking that is only the thickness of the brick.
%$#@!!#%$^&*(!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Any reason you can't ask them to use a 12-inch brick?

Can you find out how thick the brick is?

How thick is the deck going to be?

How wide is the expansion joint going to be?

If it's an issue, you can always have the bond beam cut back with a diamond saw.

I know mine was pretty close to the size of the bond beam + a couple inces to overhang the pool, approx 14". It is colored concrete.

Attachments

• pool 3-2-11 thru 3-16-11 011 (Large).jpg
    pool 3-2-11 thru 3-16-11 011 (Large).jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 178
  • pool 3-2-11 thru 3-16-11 034 (Large).jpg
    pool 3-2-11 thru 3-16-11 034 (Large).jpg
    244.7 KB · Views: 177

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The brick is 2" thick, I guess it will be set on mortar and I dont know how thick that will be. I guess I get to call him and ask him what was he thinking, I cant have decking that is 4" thick up to the beam and then only 2 inches thick over the beam, that sounds like a crack waiting to happen. What makes it even worse is that the stamped concrete is 3/8 thick, to the actual concrete would only be about 1 inch thick.. that is insane! Right

merl said:
The brick is 2" thick, I guess it will be set on mortar and I dont know how thick that will be. I guess I get to call him and ask him what was he thinking, I cant have decking that is 4" thick up to the beam and then only 2 inches thick over the beam, that sounds like a crack waiting to happen. What makes it even worse is that the stamped concrete is 3/8 thick, to the actual concrete would only be about 1 inch thick.. that is insane! Right
Correct; that is insane.

I talked to the PB this moring, he says this is normal, standard, he uses 8 in bricks all the time. He puts a mastic joint over the beam of the pool all the time, he says that the deck is tied into the pool and it will not be a problem having deck that is only 2 inches thick over the beam!!!! I asked to see a pool that he has used 8" brick, he said he would call me back.

Merl - Usually there is not a problem until the PB is paid in full and long gone. Concrete will crack at the weakest point (the transistion from 4" to 2" in your case). This is why the put joints in side walks, in hopes that when (not if) they do crack they will crack at the joint. If your PB is adamate that it will not crack ask him if he is willing to back that up with a retention of money. Possibly an amount that would cover the removal and replacement of the concrete once it does crack.

There was about a 3' spot where my bond beam was wider than 12", They used a saw and cut 4" deep and removed any material that was beyond the 12". That way the concrete is the proper thickness all the way to the coping. They also covered the 4" deep "protrusion" under the deck so the deck was isolated from bonding with it. Why not just get a larger coping stone?

Well, it isn't a code violation, and it won't explode, or anything like that. It is just something that will tend to fail more often than other things will tend to fail. While it is perfectly possible for a setup like that to last the life of the pool if things go well, I call it asking for trouble.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.