Quote site unseen and Costs of "Extras"

maggiem

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 15, 2008
Hi all! You are sure going to get tired of hearing from me ;) until I start posting pics (and maybe then too)

Here is a quote from a builder, our site unseen and w/o the possibility of running into granite ledging - thoughts appreciated:
Viking Fiberglass pool - styles below with a 16’ width and a 7’ depth minimum. Delivery charges to your area are $1600.
$40000
$40250
$47000
$40000
$36450
$37750

This builder also gave a quote for the following "extras" Now I'm looking around the web and seeing prices far below these quoted. A 400K BTU propane heater for example at an average of $1,700.00 to their $3,800.00 - and I don't know the size. So, would the prices on the internet be a place of bargaining or is the heater price "fair" considering an install? Just trying to get all the ducks in a row. Thanks!

Self Cleaning - $5300
Gas or Propane Heater - $3800
LED Lighting - $1900
Perimeter Tile - $2500
Salt Generator - $1900

maggiem said:
Here is a quote from a builder, our site unseen and w/o the possibility of running into granite ledging - thoughts appreciated:
You should have the site surveyed by a geotechnical engineer to have the soil suitability assessed.

Maggie,
Welcome! I wouldn't worry about getting a geotechnical engineer involved. Suggesting that at this stage is ridiculous, James.

One of the biggest variables with price is your location? Where are you, generally? The prices for the packages seem in the ballpark, but a little on the high side, especially with no details as to what is included. I would get some quotes from other builders, and post back with as much detail as possible. Good luck!

Often one third or more of the cost of a gas heater is running the gas line, so that price installed is not completely unreasonable. The SWG price strikes me as high, and the LED light price very much depends on how many of what kind of lights they are proposing. Over pricing options is a very common strategy.

Details of the specific site do matter, but builders that know the area well have a pretty good idea of what to expect and are willing to risk a few jobs being a little more difficult than average in order to simplify the bidding process. You will also often see contracts that say things like, if we hit stone there will be extra charges, and if the hole floods there will be extra charges, so they can cover themselves that way.

Melt In The Sun said:
I wouldn't worry about getting a geotechnical engineer involved. Suggesting that at this stage is ridiculous, James.
Having a few core samples done is not really a big deal and can help determine what costs might be incurred.

The builder is obviously thinking that hitting granite is a possibility, or he wouldn't have mentioned it.

I just don't want to see a situation where the hole is almost finished, they hit granite and begin talking about astronomical costs.

Once the hole is mostly dug, your negotiating advantage goes out the window. At a minimum, I think that the builder should put the possible costs in the proposal.

Thanks for your replies! I'm tempted to go buy another Intex and just set it and go :? We know we run risk of granite ledge but once trees cleared/stumps pulled we should have a feel for possible ledging
Here is another quote we just received: Total 68,500 - including plumbing, propane lines, electrical

Pool - 51,150
333k BTU Heater (propane) 2375
auto vac included
1390 sq ft concrete for decking/patio - broomed 4,965
cantilever (all they do with FG)
safety cover (installed) 1999
electrical with timer 1550
LED (1 light) 499
Water - no price, included
SWG intellichlor (installed) 1600
Extra Fill 2945 (priced out by load/type)

Payment schedule -
5000 to get started
25000 when pool is ordered
10000 when collar poured/base on bottom of pool
10000 bank run on slope
15000 patio
5% at show & tell
final payment at safety cover install

This company says they pour gravel on bottom of hole then sand then set the bottom of the pool in concrete. Another company that came out today says they won't do this but will do a gravel bed then just use all sand. I find the differences between the 2 very odd!

Your first bid was fiberglass and your second one is for a vinyl liner pool. Fiberglass gets put on top of gravel and sand. Vinyl liner pools get concrete poured around the edge of the wall to hold the walls in place. Sometimes a vinyl liner also has the bottom of the pool done in pool crete (a softer/lighter version of concrete) and other times they will do the bottom in all sand. That doesn't make much of a difference, go with whatever the builder prefers to do.

The builder for your newer bid seems to be much more reasonable on the option prices.

By far the most important thing is to get references and check them. A good price isn't worth anything if the builder is a bad builder.

Your first bid was fiberglass and your second one is for a vinyl liner pool.
Oh my! We want the FG - this builder does mostly vinyl so maybe that is why he was talking pouring the concrete in the bottom....now I'm a bit troubled.

We are chcking with the BBB as well as looking for reviews and asking for customer testimonals. Both places do have brick and mortar stores/shops which I think is a plus!

As always, thanks for your reply (and your pool looks great BTW!!, love the colors!)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.