Should I buy variable speed pump when mine dies?

Jun 9, 2010
cave creek, AZ
I have a 2hp 3450rpm motor running my pump currently. I bought a rebuilt motor 5 years ago to do an apples for apples swap when my last motor died. Im guessing the pump will be my next big purchase so I thought I would start thinking about the situation.

Goals: cut electrical costs and decrease noise (current pump/motor is very loud.

In addition to info in my signature, here is my current setup.

Incoming:
2" plumbing from what I can see coming in from pool and spa. 1.5" Plumbing for hayward vac, dedicated plumbing.

Outgoing:
Spa - overflows into pool via 4 jets.
Aerator- never used
Waterfall -
Pool Seat Jets - hardly used
Pool Returns Jets - 4 eyeballs

Currently I run the filter from midnight till 5am. Summer usually a couple hours longer.

Paying $.08845 per kwh on peak.
Paying $.04363 per kwh off peak.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_0553.JPG
    IMG_0553.JPG
    440.6 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_0555.JPG
    IMG_0555.JPG
    391.3 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_0556.JPG
    IMG_0556.JPG
    163.2 KB · Views: 166
The biggest factor when choosing a VS pump is your electrical cost, which you did not state. If you pay a lot for electricity a VS can make sense, otherwise a two speed might be more cost effective. But if price is not an issue, a VS pump can offer a lot of flexibility and fine tuning.

For your rates, a two speed would probably be more cost effective over the life of the pump. But, if you want the flexibility of a VS and don't mind spending a little extra to get it, then you could go that route. A VS is nice for the spa as well since you can adjust the flow rate to the jets. It really comes down to how much you want to spend.

Did some more digging,

Is my math correct?

Pump draws 9.3 amps.

230 x 9.3 = 2139 watts

2139 / 1000 = 2.14 kwh

2.14 * 2555 hours /year (avg 7hr/day) = 5468 kwh / year

5468 kwh * .04363/kwh = $239 / yr

Even though I am always running the pump at the non peak times, $239 a year seems cheap to be running a single speed pump doesnt it?

Maybe Im just lucky to be using APS in AZ and taking advantage of the non peak rate. Keep in mind I do pay a demand charge for electricity on my rate plan, so if I somehow ended up running the pool pump at the same time as my AC during a "peak" time in the summer my demand charge would surely hit $100 ++ for the month.

Based on these #'s I will look for other ways to soundproof, and may consider a 2 speed pump when this one dies. Non peak electricity rates for me are 7pm to noon. So I could run the pump at a low speed for 14 hours

Let me know if you see any errors in my sum up.

Thanks,

It is probably not even that bad since most pump motors will run below their rated amps. We pay close to 10x that here in CA in the top tier. Electrical rates are a very important factor when deciding on an energy efficient pump. Sometimes it just doesn't pay.

your pump is actually 2.6 HP based on the plate.

best thing about the variable speed in an IntelliFlow VF is the sound of silence when it's running, ultimate programmability and the cost savings are a benefit but not priority 1, just my 02 yans.

Wow I can't believe your rates are that low. Here our rates are across the board, as in no bargain at night. Right at $0.11 a kWh.

I'm considering a 2 speed or VS to replace my ancient, inefficient unit, just to save money over the long haul.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
RobbieH said:
Wow I can't believe your rates are that low. Here our rates are across the board, as in no bargain at night. Right at $0.11 a kWh.
It's all relative. Here in northern California with PG&E we're looking at $0.40/kWh at Tier 3 which starts at 24.4 kWh/day. Tier 1 up to 12.2 kWh/day is at $0.12/kWh.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.