Leaking pump- repair or replace?

PK

Apr 26, 2011
I have a Waterways Hi-Flo 42 1.5 HP side dschg pump and motor. Upon opening the pool this season, it sprung a pretty good leak either from the discharge fitting or from the bolt pattern on the pump. I do not see any cracks in the plastic housing.

I have never taken apart a pump, but am tempted to to see if there is a gasket or something that can be replaced. However, I don't want to cause any more damage if it is something that may be repairable. Pump and motor working great except for the leak, 5 yrs old.

So, is there a gasket inside or something I might be able to fix, or should I leave it to a pro, or buy a new one altogether? Any advice is appreciated.

UPDATE: I have taken apart the pump as much as possible. I believe the leak is the pump seal. Now, I can't get the impeller off, it's rusted tight. Any suggestions? Tried channel locks on impeller and screwdriver in shaft bolt... my girly hands aren't strong enough to get enough torque to get that thing off!

To get a stuck impeller off I will usually set the pump on a solid table or a concrete floor, and grip the shaft with vise grips and spin the impeller forward kinda hard, letting the handles of the pliers strike the table or floor hard, and that will normally loosen it. You may have to do it several times to get it to move.

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! Bama, that did the trick, had to work at it for a while, but finally got that bugger off by cranking the impeller end with some really big channel locks! Ends up the impeller was also cracked around the threads. I've ordered a pump seal kit and new impeller...hopefully that will keep me running without leaks for another year or two. Thanks again!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.