Upstate NY, April 26th. Should I open it up?

I am a lot farther north than you, and opened yesterday. In the event of freezing temperatures, I just keep the pump running overnight. As has been said, it's far preferable to look at a nice clear pool than a leaf and dirty water-covered winter cover. As well, you will open to a relatively clear pool, instead of a green monster, and you have a few weeks to balance the chemicals, fix leaky pipes, and shake down the equipment before the warm weather hits, and you are hit with a hot day, anxious kids, and a pool that's not quite ready. As well, if pool equipment repairs/replacement are needed, the lineup at the pool store is much shorter right now than it will be on Memorial Day weekend!

What's up neighbor? (Dutchess)...my pool is calling my name, but work has me holding off for another week or so. We're past hard freeze season, so if you've got the time I'd open 'er up. I plan to open in about a week and just cover it with my mesh cover to catch those little pinwheel thingys falling off the tree until mid may :rant:

Got mine open in NH yesterday. No green but the hazy blue that I typically open to. 9 gallons of bleach in and it is clearing up, headed to the store for more bleach today. The only issue with early opening here is the wind and the leaves and debris that end up in my pool throughout the day. Lucky for me I enjoy skimming while having a cold one....

It's been open for a few weeks now. How long should I be running the pump each day being that it's not being used and still is 58-62F in there?
My normal daily pump time when the pool is being used is 6 hrs.

Cut that in half?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.