Where to find a structural engineer for permit

MajorDIYer

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 23, 2011
Sicklerville, NJ
I've called the few listed in the yellow pages for my area, nobody calls back. Submitted a request on ServiceMagic... got exactly 1 call back and they don't do this type of pool? :rant: I just need a NJ licensed engineer to approve my pool plan to get the construction permit. It's a regular vinyl liner pool like thousands of others going into a wide open, flat yard. Does anyone know where to look or have some other suggestion? Already approved for zoning and the kit is on the way.

Not all engineering firms are accepted by the building department so you might ask the city what other pool builders use.

You might look under Land Surveyors. Larger companies usually have civil engineers on staff, and often have engineering in the business name.

These are businesses that are more used to dealing with individuals, so you may get a better response.

You need a civil engineer, not necessarily a structural engineer. Depending on what the Township requires, you may need a lot grading plan prepared. Relatively small job, that's why slow call backs. Ask your Township building officials or pool builder. They can probably give you some names.

Ask the permit office guy face to face... he probably wont give out a reference over the phone coz they arent supposed to... but if he sees the crazed desperation in your eyes he may take pity on you. Or ask to see some other "example" structural permits filed and get the names off of those!

JohnT said:
You might look under Land Surveyors. Larger companies usually have civil engineers on staff, and often have engineering in the business name. These are businesses that are more used to dealing with individuals, so you may get a better response.

Good idea, hadn't thought of that as I was stuck on the structural aspect. A smaller company did call me back and was of help. I guess I was freaking out because it took so long and thought I was just getting brushed off.

Rob621 said:
You need a civil engineer, not necessarily a structural engineer. Depending on what the Township requires, you may need a lot grading plan prepared. Relatively small job, that's why slow call backs. Ask your Township building officials or pool builder. They can probably give you some names.

The town gave me a waiver to sign that I wasn't significantly changing the grade, s I shouldn't need a grading plan. There is a size limit that my pool is just at so I'm crossing my fingers this won't be an issue.

Lershac said:
Ask the permit office guy face to face... he probably wont give out a reference over the phone coz they arent supposed to... but if he sees the crazed desperation in your eyes he may take pity on you. Or ask to see some other "example" structural permits filed and get the names off of those!

They're always very official with me and, like you said, gave me the "can't give references" reply previously. They're very friendly and talkative to my wife when she goes in, though. If needed I could send her in to :blah: something out of them.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.