New pool owner checking in with numbers

Feb 21, 2011
I have been over at the build section now water is in and will be here also. For starters I have ordered the T100 test kit. Had pool store run my numbers yesterday and then again this morning to see were I am at after putting the chems in.

This AM
FC 5.0
PH 7.4
TA 150
CH 250
CYA 60
SALT 3500

The pool guy said all was good except TA and compared to TFP it agrees. He looked at me crazy eyed when I questioned a lower then 80 CYA.

I Have a sand filter with Zeo Bright in it. My water is still cloudy do I need to give it more time to pump to start clearing up.

Pool is 37000 gallons using a Aqua plus. What should I start my percentage at?

Im hoping by friday my test kit will be here and I can play mad scientists.

Thanks
Buck

Numbers look pretty good...except for TA, but that's not such a big concern right now. Just make sure to adjust it down before it gets to 7.8 or above.

The cloudiness could be from the initial fill and it could just take the sand filter a few days to filter out. Was it initiall clear and then went cloudy or was it cloudy since filling? What is the source of your fill water?

Fresh zeo releases a lot of dust. Normally you backwash it for 10 minutes before using it for the very first time. I would do a five minute backwash right now. Over time the dust in the pool will either settle or get filtered out.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok guess I created alot more work for myself. Would it be a good assumption to do a long back wash rinse cycle then run filter for 1 turn over and start again until it clears up. Should I wait between cycles to start over so stuff can can settle then vacuum. Can I add anything to the water to help collect up the small particles.

Re: DE and Zeobright

You can add a little DE to a sand filter with zeo in it, and it will help clear up the water to some extent. However, it won't stop zeo dust that is already in the filter from coming out if you haven't completely backwashed the filter yet.

I will do a intense backwash here in a bit. Leaving work and was going to grab some DE. Run the filter tonight and do it all over again in the morning. Do I look for the 1psi rise like a sand filled filter?

Now that I am working a lot with my multiport doing alot of backwashing...Is it normal or what would cause it to sound like there is sand ticking sound coming from it. My pump basket does not appear to have any air bubbles visible. The PSI is reading 15psi after a intense backwash, is this a normal number.

Just got my test kit in and ran a test.

TC orange color not on chart
PH 7.4
CYA 80
TA 110
CH 280
FC 23
CC No change in color so I assume less then .5

How long will fc take to get in normal range after shocking it. I shocked last friday but have ran pump 24/7 to get rid of cloudy mess from zeobrite. SWG has been on this whole time at 60%. Do I need to turn off swg or lower out put to bring down fc.

Day before yesterday you reported FC of 5 and now it's 23. Did you add FC or was the pool store that far off? If you added, why?

Keep us informed as to what steps you take to get your pool cleared . Have you backwashed yet? That would be my first priority.

15 psi sounds about right. How high do you let it get before you backwash?

Have you added the DE? Yes, a 1psi rise should be ebough.

I did not add any new chlorine other then what SWG is making, should I lower the swg %. I have backwashed 2 times so far. Would it do any good to add any product to help cleaning it out. When it would raise 4-5 psi I would backwash.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.