My vinyl liner feels like sandpaper

Welcome to TFP :wave: - Dave is right, it probably is scale... if you click on the Pool School button on the right side of your screen you can start there, but we do need to see test results:

FC
CC
TC
PH
TA
CH
CYA

If you don't have your own test kit - you can take a sample to the pool store and ask them to test it for you. I wouldn't buy anything from them yet, just get the results and post them back here. :)

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

You can also use the very inexpensive HTH 6 way test kit from Walmart (NOT THE STRIPS). You won't be able to get a good reading on the FC above 5 and only 2 CYA tests but it still may be more accurate than the pool store.

:cheers:

Pool stores test results are frequently terrible but they usually do OK on pH testing. Your VERY high pH of 8.2 would indicate calcium scaling. Lower your pH down to 7.4 right away using muriatic acid.

Calcium scaling is usually very difficult to remove. That it's on a liner may be helpful. Search "calcium scaling" on this forum to learn more about it and what you can do to remove it.

Never let your pH get above 7.8

I agree with Dave - I would get the PH temporarily down to 7.0 or 7.2 even. Use the Pool Calculator to determine how much muratic acid that is. Let it circulate for awhile and start brushing the liner with a vinyl brush, hopefully the scale is fresh and will start to dissolve. Don't be surprised to see that CH number climb back up as it is dissolved back into solution off of the liner (if it works.) how old is the pool?

Seriously consider your own test kit... there is are several articles in Pool School that you will find helpful. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.