Driller's new pool - Vietnam

Hi All,

I'm a new pool owner and have been looking through found this site to be very informative and extremely useful. I have just finished building a new house and pool in Vietnam.

Because of the location, the fact that the pool is structurally part of the house, the lack of availibility of certain stuff and the fact that I work away from home I have to adapt some of your good practices to suite my own circumstance. When in Rome and all that.

I've tryed to attach a photo of the finished pool below to give you a better idea.

[attachment=0:ndjvcu90]house2.jpg[/attachment:ndjvcu90]

Attachments

• house2.jpg
    house2.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 155
Hayfarmer,

I'm really glad that things worked out for you and didn't end up hating the country. Generally the people here are great but it can be tough to make things happen.

I've met quite a few people who have come to Vietnam to adopt kids who expected to be able to leave the next week and got quite frustrated and bitter at the red tape and paper work involved. Normally a church group was involved that should have provided realistic information to these people before they came.

its was a good venture for us.. went pretty smooth... we went through a private orgaization here in the states... but right after we got our last boy they shut it down.. I am not sure if they have reopened it now or not... there are so many kids that just need homes...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
No I wish it did cost that but there's quite alot to it. Its difficult to give a exact cost for this pool because its not a stand alone pool build, it is all tied into the house. There's 28 x 100 ft long concrete piles underpinning the pool and underneath most of the deck there is a finished basement & garage so we went to extreme lengths to get the waterproofing right. This was quite a large lump of the pool building contract but well worth the effort to be able to sleep at night.

All the mechanicals are imported from Germany and so there was excessive duties paid on these. The only other alternative was to go with no name Chinese equipment. The pump room is in the basement so we went with the quietest & most reliable pumps available. On the other hand labor and local stone are very cheap so it is actually cheaper to get a glass mosaic finish than go with pebble tech.

The pool building contract was about $36,000 which included all the machinery, pipe work, import taxes and labor but they already had the foundations and the shell installed by the builder. On top of this we had to supply the glass tile ($1 / sq ft) and stone for the deck ($3 / sq ft - local crystaline marble).