Hayward Phantom gone crazy!

joshs2000ss

Nov 10, 2010
South Central Kentucky
I purchased a home last fall that has an inground pool. One of the items that came with the house was a Hayward Phantom cleaner. I'm a novice at best when it comes to pools so all I know is to put the cleaner in and hook up the hose then turn the booster pump on.

I did this once last year before closing the pool just to clear debris, we were never actually in the pool before closing, hence the limited experience. For all intensive purposes, the cleaner appeared to work fine.

I stored the Phantom in a closet in my garage. Temps are fairly moderate in there, never below 40 degrees in the winter months.

Today when I put the Phantom in the pool and turned it on, it did nothing but spin in clockwise circles. I tried (after reading the online manual) to adjust tail pressure, pressure at the wall adapter, the travel location (from top adjusted to bottom) and even flipped the cam to see if that would help.

With nothing working, I called the local pool store and they said the parts for that issue would be around $25 and the labor would be $55 an hour, but they said it wouldn't take that long.

Just wondering if this is something I should let them do or is there a specific part I can order and do this myself? I'm fairly mechanically sound, so I think I could handle minor repairs, I'm just not sure it would be worth tackling.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.