Avoiding Iron Staining

Oct 14, 2009
I read somewhere that if iron staining is an issue that it is better to add borax and baking soda through the skimmer instead of broadcasting it in the pool. Is that true? If so, should the SWG and heater be turned off to avoid damage? Also, which products are considered the best metal sequestrants?

Thanks for your help!!

You can add predissolve it and pour it slowly in front of the return and then brush with a pole combo - you don't want it clumping and sitting on the bottom... the best sequesterants are Jacks Magic, Proteam Metal Magic, GLB Sequa Sol to name a few... they are HEDP based...(look for DEDP, Phosphonic acid derivative, or phosphonates on the label). Maintaining your CH at 250-300 is also a good preventative for staining on fiberglass.

Thanks for your help. I don't want to risk damaging the filter, but I hate the staining!! In the past, I broadcast it throughout the pool. I will try pouring it in front of the returns.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.