above ground pool repair advice needed

Apr 25, 2011
I purchased a home that came with a 24'x48" above ground pool. The pool was empty and the liner has deteriorated. The previous owner was nice enough to cut 3 slits in the sides approximately 8-10" long (darn it!) It also has a center drain installed which I assume should be removed for safety reasons. The sand base looks good and the foam cove is in place. No logos are apparent to identify the manufacturer of the pool either.

I am hoping that I can repair the damage to the side of the pool, install a new liner, pump and filter and enjoy the pool. ( the pump and filter were taken by previous owner.) How should I patch the sides properly?

I am seeking advice on how to proceed with the repairs. I appreciate the help!

ps: If I can figure out how the resize photos to 256k, I will post them. thanks!

The outside of the pool is thin steel I believe. I was thinking of riveting repair patches of sheet metal from the inside and covering the rivet heads with tape or something for abrasion resistance. Wanted to see what experts thought before I do anything.

Thanks for the reply!

IMG_5037.jpg

IMG_5038.jpg

Are those the only 2 slashes? If so, I would Gorilla Tape the inside, before putting in a new liner. You may choose to patch it on the outside and spray paint it beige, but it may not be necessary. Otherwise, definately a new liner :cry:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Affirmative on foreclosure. Not sure how the damaged occurred but it's what I'm left with. I would rather repair and enjoy it than tear it down. Seems like a shame not to use it. Thanks!

Edit: My initial post suggested that the previous owner did the damage. I guess that's not entirely fair as I have no way of knowing how it actually happened...nor does it really matter at this point.

You will need a 3-way valve with regard to the bottom drain. There is also a chance the plumbing to it may be leaky - who knows. Its not essential to have but that is a big pool so it would be nice. I don't see in the pics where the bottom drain plumbing comes out of the ground? that is a concern as it's usually by the skimmer area to connect to the 3-way valve and then to the pump. hmmm.

Frustrated,

The center drain line is shown in the 3rd photo running along the ground below what I believe is the return hole to the right of the skimmer? The material is white flexible pvc, I think. You nice folks have me hoping that I can repair this thing - gosh that would be nice. My girlfriend's children would be so happy!

I'm located in VA. It may be hard pipe under the sand base, not sure. I'll check tomorrow at the 90 deg fitting just outside the pool to see if it's different under the pool.

I guess the center drain would be nice in order to clean towards it with a brush? Someone told me to take it out because it's a safety hazard.

Its my understanding that the walls just hold the liner and the posts support the frame. I have an oval so it has underground straps that connect the posts. I agree you probably just need gorilla tape and a new liner. If you search pumps and filters on the site you'll see plenty opinions on combo's.

If electricity rates are high, I'd consider a two speed pump.

If you have a single drain less than about 3 feet wide it can be a safety hazard because someone can get trapped against it by the suction. These days most people have dual drains several feet apart, so they can't both be blocked at once, or a single drain that is several feet wide so that it can't be completely covered by one person.

Def consider a 2 speed pump. run on low is great elec savings. I run mine on low 24/7.

As for the bottom drain, I hardly ever have to vacuum. I brush whatever crud there is to the center and put the bottom drain setting on "Full" and the kids make a whirlpool and Voila! With the 3-way setting on 50/50 with the skimmer, the suction is divided and its not a hazard - IMHO, however it may need a new "safer" cover but you should check on that. Does it freeze in VA?

I'm just thinking out loud... is it worth the risk of cutting a hole in a new liner for the bottom drain if you are unsure if you even want it, only to find out the plumbing leaks... KWIM?

Jason! was typing faster than me... :goodjob:

I love the idea of gorilla tape and a new liner. It sounds much better than my over-engineered sheet metal patches/riveted-on idea. I'm tired of looking at it and ready to fix it.

A 2 speed pump sounds good. I would like to keep the center drain as it seems like a good thing to have.

Time to investigate liners and research pumps/filters. Oh I need to learn more about BBB and water testing, etc. Actually I need to learn everything about pool ownership as this is my first!

This forum is great! Please keep the advice coming! Thank you so much!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.