Hayward swim pure not generating chlorine.......

JBird

Sep 17, 2010
I had the cell tested and it is good. The box is giving me mixed readings and the "generating" light is not coming on. The pool store said there is a fuse that may be blown but it looks good. I have been fighting algae for a month now it seems. I cleaned the cell yesterday after changing my sand, and ran it on super chlorinate all night and there is not chlorine in the pool while the salt level measured in at 3200. A week ago it was recommended to me that I apply 12 bags of shock to turn the chloroform in the algae from green to gray or blueish and then change my sand. The color change did take place for a couple of days but then slowly went back to full on warm tone green. Then I was told the algae must have eaten up that chlorine for there to be no chlorine in the water after a week and having that much shock in the water. I have also used two bottles of algaecide in the past month. I don't get it. Would love suggestions.

Thanks,k

J

First we need a complete set of test results. SWG are not good for fighting a full blown algae bloom. Once algae takes hold you need to turn off the SWG and complete the shock process using liquid chlorine. After you post a set of test results we can help you figure out how much chlorine you need to shock the pool.

zea3 said:
First we need a complete set of test results. SWG are not good for fighting a full blown algae bloom. Once algae takes hold you need to turn off the SWG and complete the shock process using liquid chlorine. After you post a set of test results we can help you figure out how much chlorine you need to shock the pool.

Not sure where I can get liquid chlorine in Marietta/Atlanta, Ga. Leslie's doesn't sell it. I don't have the water test results available at the moment but everything was good except the ph dropped to 7. I added 4 lbs of soda ash and have a box of shock on hand. I was instructed to add 3 bags after the soda ash has circulated for four hours. I also bought a bottle of Algae Control from Leslie's Pool service.

I appreciate you taking the time to respond by the way.

J

Algaecide is not generally worth using. It won't help much at all against a full algae bloom. It is really designed to prevent getting algae in the first place. Plus some kinds of algaecide have bad side effects.

You can use regular household bleach, without any added scent or special features, instead of liquid chlorine. In many cases it is less expensive than other forms of chlorine. Most of the other forms of chlorine have disadvantages, adding either CYA or CH, which can cause problems later on.

When you have a chance, it would be a huge help if you could actually post the full set of water test numbers. That will tell us far more than "everything was good".

You should do some reading in Pool School, especially the section on fighting algae.

The box is giving me mixed readings and the "generating" light is not coming on

Set the output to 100% then
Sequentially press the diagnostic button and post the following
1. Temp
2. Cell voltage
3. Cell current
4. output %
5. salinity
6 produt name
7. Software revision level

Most likely the main board is defective :(

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.