Dolphin Diagnostics problem - expected life span????

George in Georgia

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 9, 2010
Jonesboro, GA
We have a Dolphin Diagnostics, bought 7 or 8 years ago. It has generally been satisfactory, but the repair service has not been a happy experience. 3 or 4 years ago, out of warranty, of course, the strain relief on the AC power cord failed. Looking at it I knew that I could replace it myself IF I could get the part.

I contacted Maytronics; they refused to sell me the part and for repair required me to ship the entire unit to them at a cost of about $60. After a bill of over $100 plus another $60 for return shipping the Dolphin returned, with the strain relief fixed (I'd estimate the part cost 50 cents) and a "reprogramming" of the unit, plus a float attached to the cord. The unit now doesn't climb the walls as well as it did before the "repair."

Yesterday, after "Dolph" had performed wonderfully for 2 or 3 weeks it decided to run for no more than 10 or so seconds. After the 30 second off period it will once again run for 10 or so seconds. I've left a message with Maytronics, now located in Norcross GA less than an hour from me, but had no response.

Any ideas? If it's power supply the cost could be too close to replacement cost. I wonder if something is jamming the tracks, although they seem to turn easily enough by hand. I've taken off side panels to replace a track before; it's a nasty job, very tight quarters to run a screwdriver.

Or is Ol' Dolph just at the end of his life?

7 or 8 years is a pretty good run for a robotic cleaner. The "design" lifetime is around 7 years. That is not to say that it can't be fixed. Since it is out of warranty, you should check around at your local pool stores and see if any of them service Dolphins. If they do they will probably be less expensive and easier to deal with than Maytronics.

Thanks for the quick response! Apparently the later Dolphins can be serviced locally, but according to the local Leslie's this old timer generally has to go back to Maytronics. I guess, barring a favorable response from Maytronics, I'll haul out the tools and see if something's stuck in Dolph's craw.

BTW with Troublefree in my corner bringing the pool up and running was a snap. Clear water, all I needed was some cyanuric acid and a bit more salt. Thanks, guys!

A "progress" report. After removing both side panels and cleaning bearings, etc, I reassembled everything and, with fingers crossed, started Dolph on his appointed rounds. Same story. Maytronics says there's a minimum $40 charge, plus my time in driving to and from Norcross. Debbie at Maytronics agreed that, given the Dolphin's age, replacement might be a reasonable course.

Any thoughts on a good, user-servicable robot cleaner??

I am having the exact same problem. I'm starting to think that it could be the capacitors in the power supply. If that is the case, they can be purchased and they snap in fairly easy. I'm keeping my fingers crossed also. The unit cost to much money to last only four seasons (12 wks a season).

You may want to look on ebay, if it is the power supply working ones sometimes sell for reasonable prices. I bought a good condition like new set of tracks, along with a basket and bag for mine off ebay last year for only $25 -$30

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.