Moving a hot tub

Apr 25, 2011
I need to move a hot tub across town from where it currently is installed to my place. It is a Sundance Marin 850 spa and I have not done this before. Is there any refernece material on how best to get this accomplished without harming the tub?

Welcome to TFP!!

(There are so many different kinds out there that I don't 'know' your particular tub )

A smaller tub can be carried by 4 strong young men (people :oops: ). The larger the tub, the more folks you'd need to lift it.

If you have a long stretch to haul it, you can use 6 - 8 sections of pipe to act as rollers (the way the Egyptians hauled the blocks to make the pyramids ). To get it up, on and off the truck or trailer you'll use to get the beast across town - it's muscle.

If you do as I suggested, the internals won't be damaged, it's encased in that 'box' and everything's bolted down.

DO NOT drop it nor drag it!

I probably don't have to say this but... only try to move it after the water is out :-D

(3500)

We moved our Hot Spring tub twice (across state and across town). It's the kind that is built into a 400lb box and they call it a "portable" spa. We own a 6.5' x 12' dual axle flat bed trailer that worked perfectly. Just get 3-4 friends to help move and lift it, and be sure to strap it down good. OK, so assuming you've already figured out how you plan to get it from point A to point B, the only other advice / thing I learned from doing this task twice was this: If you plan to hook it up yourself, take some good photos of exactly how it is connected to the electrical and make good notes of what wires go where before you disconnect it so you know how to hook it up correctly at your new location.

Thanks for the welcome and the responses. I currently have a VERY old Jacuzzi and in the owner's manual for that there is section on moving the tub. It has one side that is reinforced so you can put it on that side. My Sundance manual doesn't make any mention of that and it is going to be necessary to flip it up. I was wondering if anyone knew if one side of the Sundance is better than the other. Also, does anyone know where I might be able to get the specs for this tub? Things like water capacity, empty weight, etc. Again the Sundance owner's manual doesn't list anything like that.

I just picked up a used Sundance Altimar spa (pretty good size and heavy - 820 lbs) and after talking to enough people, I just hired it done. In fact, a friend of mine just moved a similar but smaller spa himself (with several other helpers) and wishes he would have just hired it done. Cost $350 but well worth it when I considered the alternative of gathering a bunch of people to help. Funny enough, only two average-sized guys moved this thing! The worked smart, not hard and relied heavily on a custom dolly they made. This particular outfit has supposedly moved 15,000 spas around the area here. They certainly knew what they were doing and to me, was worth the cost.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.