Solar heater add to pool build

ABQ_Pool

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 31, 2011
Chandler, AZ
Wife and I are are close to finalizing details on a pool build here in sunny Albuquerque. We are keen on using a solar heater (pool surface is 576 sq ft, so looking at around 460 sq ft of panels), especially after another TFP member who is local is going without a gas heater. The local pool builder only offers the premade panels, but we would prefer the "black mat" style heater so I'm thinking of a DIY install. I've looked into some manufacturers I've seen listed on here (specifically Hot Sun http://www.h2otsun.com/ ) and was looking for some feedback on them if anyone has opinions. I could not find their products on the Florida solar information site...

With a recent quote I've gotten, they've included a Pentair Suntouch controller and my other question is: will a suntouch be able to handle basic automation for my entire system (intelliflo pump, pentair sand filter, SWG and solar heat)? I'm completely in the dark on automation and I don't quite know my what my needs will be as I've never owned a pool before. I know that I'll need some sort of schedule to circulate the water through the filter and swg, operate the skimmers, operate the dedicated line for a pool cleaner and then have another schedule for solar heating...but I can't wrap my head around what that works out for automation needs. The pool builder offers a "manual timer" with his builds and I'm not sure if it would be worth it to add a more robust automation system at install.

Thanks for your help!
Jason

ABQ_Pool said:
The local pool builder only offers the premade panels, but we would prefer the "black mat" style heater
Are you sure that the pool builder isn't using "black mat" panels just like everyone else? That is just about the only thing anyone would use around there.

The SunTouch will control a solar system, and everything else you mentioned. A manual timer is just fine without solar, but with solar it is really nice to have a system that turns on automatically when the panels are hot and the pool needs heat. With solar and an IntelliFlo I wouldn't go with anything simpler than a SunTouch system.

I'll double check, but I'm pretty sure he mentioned mounting the panels on the roof at an angle, which we don't want because they'll mount directly to our tar and gravel flat roof and our neighborhood association would probably have fits.

I'll confirm and post back.

Does anyone have suggestions on companies that supply DIY solar heat - I'm not the most handy at these projects, but I can get some help with the install as long as I have some general schematics, etc. to install.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.