How do I check the drain and skimmer flow?

joshs2000ss

Nov 10, 2010
South Central Kentucky
I know my skimmer flow is working properly and have been able to verify as such. Unfortunately, my floor drain valve just spins and doesn't indicate full open or closed. Is there a way I can tell if I've got it fully open or partially open or not at all?

I can't get in the pool yet, too cold, so it will have to be a from above water solution. I was thinking maybe attach something (string, ribbon) to the end of my extension pole and hold it near the drain to see if it pulls it in?

With that in mind, how far open should I keep the bottom drain valve? I was told that it didn't need to be fully open, but the skimmer did. How accurate is this?

I'm mainly concerned because for one, I just don't know for sure, and I just opened and have started adding the chemicals to get my levels correct, and I want to make sure everything is circulating.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.