Gunite shell prior to plastering w/ pics- need opinion

Jun 18, 2010
Shell was shot in the autumn and we went over the winter to let the ground settle before pavers.
I have noticed a few things:
1. Ground water from a high water table easily enters the pool around the light and return penetrations.
Assuming plaster will seal it???
2. Some of the cement surface is flaking. Hard to see in the pics, but it's almost like there was a coat of paint in some spots that is peeling. (Of course, there is no paint.)
Is this typical or cause for any concern before the plaster?
3. Lastly, the leaves that entered the pool over the winter and the mud/muck that entered via the open hydrostatic penetrations have discolored the gunite.
Is this of any concern or will a hose-down before the plaster be fine?
How finicky is the plaster to gunite bond?

Thanks in advance!
IMG_0534.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

The leaks are normal, and the debris is annoying but not a significant problem. However if there are places where the concrete is flaking off that could be more serious. The plaster needs a solid surface to adhere to, so any flaking concrete will need to be repaired before plaster is applied (plus the debris cleanup).

Thanks for the quick reply. I just ordered the TF-100 XL in anticipation of getting this thing right from the start.

I'm going to hit the shell with a power washer tomorrow and see if it cleans up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.