Replace heater?

rjmac

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 7, 2010
El Paso, TX
We have a Teledyne EG 250 heater (came with the pool & house, not sure how old it is) and it has sprung a leak - water is dripping from the heater. We kind of knew this was coming since the returns to the pool have been spewing out large chunks of rust. I don't think there's a way to bypass the heater - the water goes through the filter then through the heater before circulating back to the pool, so we need to resolve this issue pretty quickly - can't live too long with no water circulation.

Any thoughts on whether to hire someone to take apart the heater and fix the leak or replace the heater all together for a new and more efficient model? If I replace the heater, how do I know what size to get? Any recommended models?

Thanks in advance.
Jill

I don't know much about heaters (don't have one), but I do know that for heaters and filters, bigger is better! The only problems you may run into when upgrading to a bigger heater is your gas line and gas meter size. They need to be big enough to handle the increased load with a larger heater. I know the experts will chime in with more info.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.