Newbie, first opening

joshs2000ss

Nov 10, 2010
South Central Kentucky
Okay. Had a neighbor help get me started. He's had a pool for several years.

Where I'm at now.
Cover is off. Pool vacuumed. About to backwash after the vacuum. Since I'm opening should I test before shocking or just go ahead and add some bags of shock? Water level is good if that matters.

Always test first! Be sure and test the CYA level. If it is above 50 and you do not have a saltwater chlorine generator then you do not want to use a dichlore/trichlore shock product. Dichlore/trichlore with add CYA to the pool. Once you have too much CYA the only way to get rid of it for most people is to partially drain and refill the pool.

Liquid chlorine, either 6% regular bleach or 10-12% strength from the pool store is the best for chlorinating or shocking the pool without added excessive CYA or Calcium to the water.

The first thing to do is to run the pump for an hour and then test the water to see where you are at.

If the water is clear, free of CC, and no obvious problems turn up there isn't any reason to shock.

Similar to what zea3 said :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
joshs2000ss said:
So at this point should I dump in a couple bags of shock? Turn on the SWG? Put in bleach?
Your pool is going to be about 14,400 gallons (15 X 32 X 4 (average depth)).

Start off by adding 6 quarts of bleach (regular, 6 % sodium hypochlorite) and retest after a few hours to see what you get on the FC and CC tests.

have you read pool school, particularly that shock is a process not a product? If your CYA is zero, you will be ok with the bags but the trick is maintaining FC at the right level until CC is less than .5 and bleach or liquid chlorine. You do need to get CYA to 30 for best shock so dichlor or trichlor will help initially.

Keep posting your tests and listen to the mods and you'll be on your way to a trouble free pool.

I did read through pool school. Will read again tonight. Since I apparently have little to no chlorine, I'm just trying to figure out the best place to start. According to the calculator I just need to add some bleach to get the FC levels up. I'm going to read some more and try to find my way a little better. Just a bit overwhelming at this point and I don't want to let it get away from me by not doing something.

Added the recommended bleach. 182 oz bottle to be exact. Checking levels 5 hours after adding and so far here's what I've got.

FC - .5
CC - 2
CYA - 0
TA - 80
CH - 180

At what point in this process do I need to turn on the SWG? It is currently off.

I will note that we've been getting heavy rain off an on since I removed the cover. I'm beginning to wonder if I need to drain off some water.

You should go ahead and add CYA to the pool. If you already have bags of dichlore/trichlore you may use those. If you do not have them you can buy CYA at the pool store or some Walmarts will have it as well. Add enough to bring the CYA to 30 ppm for now. Once you have completed shocking the pool you can bring the CYA up to 70 and turn on the SWG.

I have some additional questions for you. What does the water look like now, clear or cloudy? Do you have a vinyl liner or a plaster surface in the pool? Do you have test results for pH?

You want to keep the water level in the pool 1/2 to 3/4 the way up the skimmer opening. If the water is higher than that then you may want to drain it down a little.

Pool is constructed with a vinyl liner, I will add that info to my signature. Currently the water is a bit cloudy. I can see the bottom easily (and a few spots I need to hit again with the vacuum after the lightning stops :) )

According to the calculator, I need to add 60 oz (by volume of stabilizer) so I'm reading that as a little over 3.5 bags of the granular chlorine shock, but it says this will also lower the pH, which as of last night was already down to 7.2. Do I just need to point my returns toward the surface to aerate and bring that up a bit? I will re-test pH also, because I haven't checked it since adding the bleach.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.