Should I upgrade my 1.5" piping to 2" aboveground

Apr 23, 2011
Hi Everyone

This is a great site!! I'm going to be replacing my 50 year old pump with a Pentair VS 3050 and EasyTough 4 system. I have a 20k gal pool with a spa combo, 4 returns into the pool/spa 2 drains+skimmer. My pump installer tells me he wants to replace all my existing 1.5" PVC to 2" and wherever possible take out the 90deg elbows to reduce head loss. He also wants to move my heater 3 feet to the left and turn it 90deg clockwise so that the plumbing faces the pump, again to remove the elbows and so that the pump will have a direct line w/o elbows in the suction part. He says he can eliminate about 6-7 elbows or 70 feet of head loss

Another thing, I originally had solar panels, but removed them when I got photovoltaic panels in since they were talking up prime real estate on my roof. I'm considering leaving them disconnected because they wouldn't be as efficient on the other side of the roof, additionally, my pump would need to run at higher RPM to get them up there and back, thus defeating the purpose of energy savings. Anyway, where I was getting with this is that since I'm removing solar from the equation, I'm reducing head loss by 70' (distance to/from solar) and 16' elevation. Not sure on the head loss calculation on that is, but that should offset all those elbows I have correct?

My question is should upgrade my above ground piping to 2" when everything else underground is 1.5"? Will removing those additional elbows and turning my heater save me that much more on head loss when I negated that with the removal solar? Where does head loss affect me most, more work on pump, loss of flow?

I now he wants to do it perfectly, but there is a hefty additionally cost for parts and labor, and also I really don't want to move my heater because I have it nicely tucked away in my little fence I built for it, putting it on the other side of the fence just looks ugly.

Any advise would be much appreciated! Thanks

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 112
If you are redoing the plumbing for some other reason, then those changes are great. I wouldn't redo plumbing just to go to 2" pipe or just to eliminate 90s, but as long as the plumbing is being done anyway the small improvement is worth having.

Thanks. The only reason is to upgrade my pump. One installer didn't even mention the piping, he just said he would put in the pump, program the easy touch for my VS3050, Booster pump for my Polaris 380, Jacuzzi pump, and heater for $3100. They other guys wants to redo everything which is probably the right thing to do, but I'm trying to understand the return on investment. Waiting to hear back from the 2nd guy on his quote. I'm considering just doing it myself. Can't be that hard, I'm pretty handy and have lots of tools :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.