Goldsboro, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
We have some friends coming over later and were planning on getting in the pool, so I just want to make sure these numbers are okay for the "big debut". I still have to add some more CYA, but I wanted to wait until after today.

FC: 8
CC: 0
pH: 7.5
T/A: 40
CH: 30
CYA: 40
Salt: 3695

Thanks!!!!!

Fine to swim in. You probably need to increase your TA to 60-80 when you up your CYA level for PH stability purposes.
I'm guessing that your CYA number is around half of what is recommended for your SWG. Add some now--won't hurt a thing and takes a while to show up on a test. You should be able to maintain that FC level at 3-4 with a SWG. I think a lotta folks here UP their FC number before a pool party.

I would not swim in it but I can't stand Chlorine. Your FC is way on the high side of the range as 10 ppm is the recommended maximum for being able to swim in it, with 3 ppm considered the idea maximum comfort wise.

Again these are just recommended ranges (except the 10 ppm maximum) as everybody is different.

iPhone said:
I would not swim in it but I can't stand Chlorine. Your FC is way on the high side of the range as 10 ppm is the recommended maximum for being able to swim in it, with 3 ppm considered the idea maximum comfort wise.

Again these are just recommended ranges (except the 10 ppm maximum) as everybody is different.

Are you taking CYA into account for those FC numbers? I'm a n00b, and I'm trying to match up with what you are saying looking at CYA/Chlorine charts.

In any case, yes, the FC will go down once a number of people is swimming in the pool, so for the OP, no worries about FC being at 8 now.

With CYA at 40, FC at 8 is perfectly acceptable, the tiniest bit high but nothing worth mentioning.

The min and max FC levels vary dramatically with the CYA level. With CYA at zero max FC is around 2. WIth CYA at 100 max FC is around 25.

Iphone,

Experience and thousands of users here on this and other forums have taught us that chlorine is drastically buffered by the presence of CYA. Many hundreds of people have swum in my pool many times with FC in the teens and no one can tell there is any chlorine in it at all.

A washing machine with the correct amount of bleach in it works out to about 300ppm chlorine and you see no health hazard warnings about it.....even without ANY CYA. (yes, you are correct, I will not allow anyone to swim in my washing machine however :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: )

Many times people react to some other water condition and assume it is chlorine that is bothering them.

Do you display specific symptoms of being in chlorine?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.